Tomato Rootstck

I read in a seed catalog about tomato rootstock. What is it?

Reply to
clevermonkey

freemont

1) I didn't know you could search Google that way. I'll have to remember that trick. 2) All that explains what a rootstock is but what on earth is a tomato rootstock? Did someone actually develop a variety of tomato that needs to be grafted??

Steve

Reply to
Steve

I do remember an article in the New Yorker about someone who grafted a tomato plant onto locoweed rootstock. The locoweed toxin ended up in the tomatoes to the health detriment of the man's family.

Bill

-- Ferme le Bush

Reply to
Salmon Egg

Reply to
V_coerulea

Loco weed also known as jimson weed is related to nightshade plants such as tomatoes or tobacco. IIRC, it was done as a lark. Check out the Annals of Medicine in the New Yorker of at least 30 years ago.

Bill

-- Ferme le Bush

Reply to
Salmon Egg

Berton Roueche in his book "The Medical Detectives" [Washington Square Press 1982] wrote of a case from October 28, 1963 in Caney Valley Tennessee where 5 people became weirdly ill after eating a tomato that was grown on a tomato plant grated onto a Jimson weed. The grower was trying to produce a late frost-resistant tomato. Which it was, but it nearly killed him. Jimson weed, like tomatoes and Irish potatoes and nightshade are all members of Solanaceae.

His book is derived from his columns "Annals of Medicine" in the New Yorker, and the original column was from 1965.

Well done, Bill! I just happened to have the book on the shelf so I could look it up, but you remembered the name of the column, the periodical and nearly the right decade!

David.

Salm> >

Reply to
DPSpencer

Sounds like a bareroot to me- you get a root with a stem sticking out of it, and you stick it into some dirt, and the stem makes a plant. I grew my tarragon this way. Never heard of growing tomatoes like this, but who knows?

Reply to
freemont

What catalog was this in?

Reply to
The Cook

Tomato root stock is high resistant tomato plant or their seeds. Tomato plant grafting widely practiced in Asia with Japan being a leader. Two of the most popular are Maxifort and Beaufort. Check out this link to learn more: https widely ://

Just do a search on yahoo or google for "tomato grafting" . I am planning on do this for disease resistant plants. Its new to the USA but old hat like I said in Asia.

JEM

Reply to
Jim Marrs

I'm pretty sure I saw the tomato rootstock thing in a Johnny's Selected Seeds catalog.

Reply to
clevermonkey