Tithonia "Goldfinger"

Hi all,
I'm growing Tithonia "Goldfinger" for the first time this year. They're from Park Seed and the catalog says that they're supposed to get 4 feet tall. Mine are now only about a foot tall and they're starting to bloom. Also, the bottom leaves turned yellow but otherwise the plants look healthy.
I think they were stressed when I got them into the ground - a bit pot bound and then we had a cold front move in for a week - so maybe that made them start blooming early.
Will these plants continue to get taller even while blooming or should I pinch off these initial blooms?
Thanks. Doug in NJ