Time of Year to Plant Clematis

I've done some google searches and understand everything about planting Clematis except what's the best time of year.....I'm putting some fruit trees, bulbs, and bamboo in the next 6 weeks or so....can I do the clematis too or do I waite for srping? Thanks
Thorpe wrote:

You don't say where you are located. Here, in zone 4b (Canadian), we plant clematis in the spring. In the fall, we cut back the hardy ones (or not, depending on variety) in September/October.
HTH
Sorry, I'm in southern Maryland, that's zone 7A.
Wolf Kirchmeir wrote:

Thorpe wrote:

OK, then I would say that you can plant clematis now. The main consideration for fall planting is how soon (if ever) you will have a killing frost, since that will stop growth on most winter-hardy plants. You also want reasonably warm day-time temperatures, ie, 45-50 degrees F or better. There should be enough time, a month or so, for the plant to develop its root system, which means that the leaves must still do some photosynthesis. Apply some bone meal or other high-phosphorus fertiliser, too, and water enough to keep the spoil moist but not sopping wet. Check whether your variety of clematis wants acid or basic soil, and amend if necessary. NB that clematis should go through a period of dormancy in the depth of winter.
HTH&GL