Texas bluebonnets

Texas is full of bluebonnets in the Summer, but I don't have one single plant on my 11 acres:( Does anybody know where I can buy Bluebonnet plants, either online or at a nursery? One year I found a plant at my local Target, but I never find them anymore:(
I don't think the police would take too kindly to me digging up a bunch of plants in the center median of Interstate 30, but I sure am tempted when I see the thousands of plants growing along there, LOL!
Ideally, I would like to cover at least 1/2 an acre of my land in them.
Angie (who planted Azaleas, Calla Lilys, and Amaryllis today in the nice 70 degree weather....gotta LOVE Texas!)
On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 20:43:02 -0600, "junkyardcat"

You'll be better off sowing seeds next fall. It's too late to sow them this year. Lots of sources on the web. FYI, they typically bloom in late March to April rather than summer.
deg
junkyardcat wrote:

Lupines (bluebonnets are a lupine that likes chalky alkaline soil) do not transplant well; you really need to plant seeds. If you want to cover 20000+ square feet, you might want to contact the Ladybird Johnson Wildflower Research Center [www.wildflower.org] to see where you can buy scarified seeds by the pound. IIRC, you'll plant them in the fall. The plants are annuals, but they should readily reseed.
Best regards, Bob
Just a warning! It is illegal in Texas to pick or dig up wildflowers along the road. I am a Texan also, and we get all of our wildflower seed from the following: Wildseed Farms Box 3000 Fredericksburg, TX 78624 wildseedfarms.com If you are in the metroplex, it is worth a weekend trip to drive to Fredericksburg - it is just west of Austin. The farms are 7 miles east of Fredericksburg on US 290.

plants,
Target,
of
70
On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 20:43:02 -0600, junkyardcat wrote:

The bluebonnet is a type of lupine. Can't you find seeds? When I was in TX, we were given seeds in our packet of freebies.

http://www.wildseedfarms.com /
They sell all kinds of wild flower seed. I got candy striped cosmos and picotee cosmos among others last year, but they're in texas and have the texas bluebonnet seed.
Keep in mind they're poisonous to livestock.
Janice
I live in Texas much farther south than you and the time I plant my seeds is July. It's when my bluebonnets are spitting out their seeds, naturally. I try to gather all the pods when they are crispy and I shuck them all and right before a rain or when I'm going to do a deep watering, I throw them out. They germinate by August and remain in a rosette all winter.
People say the fall...that's not true. You plant seeds of plants when they would naturally be dropping their seeds and for bluebonnets, that is July in the whole of the state of Texas.
I have no idea where you'd buy plants because I have no idea where you live. If you live in the Hill Country near Austin, they sell bluebonnet plants everywhere, including Home Depot or Lowes.
opined:

Seeds of Texas Bluebonnet are available from Wildseed Farms in Fredricksburg
emilie