Teasel as a irritant

Ok - I've been pulling out teasel seedlings with the help of my 6 year old. We both seem to have a gotten a rash as a result. Just from the spines or could there be an other source from the plant as we broke lots of tap roots and leaves doing it.

No chemicals in the garden - never has been. I've been gardening here for 15 years and did the soil improvement myself.

I've done some quick Google searches, but nothing jumps out at me about that aspect. (and yes, as neat looking as it is, I wish I had never planted it)

Thanks

Cheryl

Southern NH

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

I've had similar experiences. I think it's just the scratches you get from the spines. My rash went away in a day or two.

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Reply to
dps

spines or

it could have been a poison ivy root. it happens to me occasionally and my 8-yrs old got it a little bit last week as she was helping plant potatoes. This time of year you can't tell them from something else.

Reply to
simy1

Which would explain why it's on the underside of my arm and the back of her hands; I loosened with a trowel, she lifted and shook off the dirt and tossed it in the bucket.

Sounds like she'll want gloves for the next go-round.

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

Wrong kind of rash, no little blisters, thank goodness as I had a systemic reaction last fall and ended up at the Urgent Care room.

DD is calling it crocodile skin - very scaly and dry.

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak