Thinning out seedlings

I planted cleome last year and they've self-sown nicely, but the little seedlings are very crowded into a solid mass of green. Should I thin them? I've never done this before. Would someone give me instructions, please? Can I put the thinned ones in another part of the landscape? Thanks very much.

Lorraine

Reply to
dannysmom

You didn't say how closely the seedlings had grown. Here's the cultural info: Height 4'. GARDEN HINTS: Grows best in full sun. Space 15-18" apart.

You can move some of the plants, but only if you can get them out of the ground without damaging their roots, or the roots of the ones you leave behind. If you can't do that, then just out the extras and compost them. Beyond this, there's no way to tell you how close is too close for successful thinning. It's something you have to learn by trying.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Lorraine,

Yes, if they are a "solid mass of green" you need to thin them. You can try to move some of them but be sure to not damage the root system when you move them. It is a good idea if you transplant some of them to give them a feeding with a liquid fertilizer (mixed to half strength) when you move them and every few days after you move them. Cleome do transplant fairly well but you will likely lose a few so take that into account when you move them.

Reply to
Bill R

I've always been wary of thinning, never dared to try to prick out seedlings because their roots are so fragile. I know that good gardening technique requires it, but doesn't nature handle it? Like I scattered some wildflower seeds pretty thick. I don't feel like trying to transplant them and just let the race go to the fittest.

Reply to
I Love Lucy

Thank you all for your replies.

Lorraine