squirrels stealing tomatoes

Page 5 of 5
There is no shortage of food. But war displaces farmers, lack of roads and transportation minimizes the movement of food to where the hungry people are making the people have to move to where the food and water is, which usually means abandoning their farms. And then there is just poverty, the inability to pay for food especially if somebody upchain is hoarding food and selling it too high.
Animal food from the ocean is ideal for brain development, high in cholesterol as well as protein. Thinking is human brains developed/evolved in conjunction with sea food diet.
Ingrid

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Somewhere between zone 5 and 6 tucked along the shore of Lake Michigan on the council grounds of the Fox, Mascouten, Potawatomi, and Winnebago
snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com wrote:

At least it was before we started using the ocean as a toxic waste dump for mercury, Chlorinated Dioxin, PBDEs, DDT, petroleum, Arsenic, and PCBs. This doesn't include the melamine that has been added to fish from China.
If you eat fish, you should check with a guide first.
<http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/cr/seafoodwatch/web/sfw_regional.aspx

--
Remember Rachel Corrie
<http://www.rachelcorrie.org/
On 5/14/13 6:10 AM, snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com wrote:

I too use a Havahart trap for squirrels. When I catch a squirrel, I place the trap on several layers of newspaper in my car. Then I drive about 5 miles across a nearby freeway (10 lanes) to a national park and turn it loose. There are pleanty of hungry owls, hawks, and coyotes in the park. (The newspaper is in case the squirrel finds the trip so exciting that it has an "accident" in my car.)
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
On 5/14/2013 7:15 PM, David E. Ross wrote:

Some places, catch and release is not allowed. Here in Delaware, you can catch and drown them but not release them. I've done it anyway, once right in front of a county cop at police substation in local park. He said nothing. In fact, when he looked over at me, I told him I had come to release a prisoner and let the squirrel out right in front of him. Would have been better to be surreptitious.

You can catch and release but it has to be pretty far away or they come back. And if it far away, well then they are in unfamiliar territory and in an area likely already occupied. So it may be less cruel to euthanize... But if the damn things could just live in harmony with my me and leave most my tomatoes alone, then I would not have ill feelings for them. They are not good neighbors!
On 5/15/2013 9:17 PM, Gus wrote:

I'm stymied by squirrels as there does not appear to be a natural balance with them as they can escape predators by climbing trees. When something like the rabbit population increases, the foxes move in and wipe them out and when the rabbits are gone the foxes leave and cycle repeats.
Squirrels and deer are constant invaders with out predators where I live. I like to tell my wife that I have the cure but she won't have it.
Predators with wings. Predators that catch them on the ground. Both dogs and cats do so regularly. Then there are those who crash to ground, get run over by cars, and.... starve to death in winter. Ingrid

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Somewhere between zone 5 and 6 tucked along the shore of Lake Michigan on the council grounds of the Fox, Mascouten, Potawatomi, and Winnebago

I have many squirrels, and the worst that they have done is tip over seedlings that have been set out to catch some sun. Maybe I'm just crazy lucky. I'm curious though. Are there any oak trees around you, or other trees that would provide nourishment for the squirrels?
--
Remember Rachel Corrie
<http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Lots of trees around here. Though some streets don't have any, but in general lots around. No oaks on the block but some mighty ones a few blocks away.
I have a maple in the front yard about two stories high. There is a squirrel that appears to own it and chases away any squirrels that encroach... I had a problem with some getting into a section of my roof last year, piece of soffit was missing I found out later and a couple squirrels discovered it and thought it was a dandy place to move in to. The exterminator said even if you cover up where they were getting in, they will come back and do whatever they can to get back in. So his company euthanizes any caught. Though he said they could also catch and release down state about 30 miles. But after reading what happens to a squirrel released into unfamiliar territory where squirrels already live, decided it was more humane to euthanize.
Yup. They will chew thru solid steel to get back in. Ingrid
I had a problem with some getting into a section of my roof

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Somewhere between zone 5 and 6 tucked along the shore of Lake Michigan on the council grounds of the Fox, Mascouten, Potawatomi, and Winnebago
snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com wrote:

Watch out! Squirrels with angle grinders! The worst sort.

They are evil incarnate.

Oh, little mysteries of life.
--
Remember Rachel Corrie