squirrels stealing tomatoes

Page 2 of 5
On 5/3/13 4:17 PM, David E. Ross wrote:

Oops! Yesterday, I discovered that no animal repellant was used. The mixture consisted of cayenne, liquid dish soap, and urine. No, I don't know whose urine was used.
Two gardeners were assigned to the task. One was at the top of a ladder, doing the spraying. The other was on the ground, holding the ladder.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see

hmmm... I wonder if pure urine works best, or from a drug addict? Or maybe from an asparagus aficionado.
Why soap? Were the tree rats swearing and uncouth?
On 5/5/13 9:02 AM, Gus wrote:

Whenever I spray -- which is rarely -- I always pour some liquid soap into my sprayer. It acts as a wetting agent so that the spray does not bead and run off from waxy or fuzzy foliage.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see

Habanero and fox urine will work much better, just don't put fox urine on the plants.
Greg
gregz wrote:

There are plenty of foxes round here how do I collect the repellent?

How do I get a fox to pee in cup?
I tried some stuff from the vegetable stand nearby that was some sort of repellent but didn't have any effect. And oddly, I had left some on a table out by the garage and it had fallen off. The package was open and there was a little chipmunk next to the opened package, dead. I assume it ate the repellent? Weird. The clerk at the vegetable stand swore the stuff worked, but I won't be buying anymore.
On Friday, May 3, 2013 5:25:56 AM UTC-7, Gus wrote:

Some people (not me) use a .22.
Some people use big black birds.
I'm just sayin'
HB
HB
On 5/3/2013 8:25 AM, Gus wrote:

Havahart trap and relocate to a more affluent neighborhood.
Largest rat traps will sometimes get them. Bait with peanut butter.
I laced bird feeder with gobs of hot pepper flakes and it would not deter them.
Squirrels are not an endangered species and if you can't use a .22 you might consider an air rifle.

Too many to get rid of them all; another will just take its place. They are like the Chinese army.
On 5/3/2013 2:28 PM, Gus wrote:

I know. One summer I was trying to trap a groundhog and before I got him I must have made a half dozen trips to the park to drop of squirrels before I got the ground hog.
I would shoot them if my wife would permit it. One guy I know says he has to shoot over a dozen before he sees a difference. I'm not sure tomatoes are a favorite food for them and if it is just a few and you get them it may cease. Squirrels can live a dozen years and do have memories. Two months since I put away the bird feeder a squirrel will come up on the deck looking for it. Since most of my property got shaded in and deer became the big problem I've been growing my tomatoes on the deck without squirrels bothering them. Racoons are more of a problem and will sometimes just rip up a small plant.
You need know laws where you live. Some places like here make trap and release illegal but you can trap and kill the animal. I released a squirrel right in front of a cop once but he said nothing.
On 5/3/13 12:15 PM, Frank wrote [in part]:

It's not merely trap-and-release. The laws also vary regarding killing squirrels. Gray squirrels are native to southern California and are protected by law. Red squirrels, however, are an introduced species and may be killed.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
David E. Ross wrote:

In either case if there is a large breeding colony both T & R and killing a few are a waste of time. They will breed up and replace all you can remove. In such a case you need an effective repellent or physical barrier.

Speaking of the tomato plants, I noticed 4-5 of them already have a flower and they are only about 6 inches or less tall. Seems foolish to flower when so small yet, but they seem healthy. I've only grown plants about 3 or 4 times and don't remember them flowering when so small.
Gus wrote:

This is quite common.

Hi Gus,
I would have to concur with David. I use to work at a greenhouse. The potted tomato plant they sold to transplant all had flowers on them.
-T

okay. Thought maybe there was something in the air this year. I've not really raise many vegetables.

Flowering when they are tiny is just what you want. In fact here in this country a gardening guru says to stress them slightly whilst they are still int he pot so they do flower and they tehn romp away when planted.

That's not fair.
Greg
On 5/3/2013 6:23 PM, David E. Ross wrote:

What do you kill if you're color blind? LOL
--
Natural Girl

On 05/04/2013 12:30 PM, Natural Girl wrote:

Color blind? No problem. They are black and white. No colors to worry about. All black, except a long wide white stripe that runs from head to their tail. They are not very fast and have cute bushy tails. All other animals keep clear of them. They are attracted to leftover dog and cat food. Sneak up on them with a bat. Ignore the odor.
:-)
-T
With friends like these ...