squirrels and tomatoes

Is there any way to keep squirrels out of my tomato patch? All I got last year was few cherry tomatoes - not one standard size (squirrels snitched them all.) i could live with sharing the produce, but we should get some, too.
Alan

snipped-for-privacy@junk.min.net wrote:

Huh. I've never had a problem with my squirrels raiding more than a very few tomatoes (knock on wood), but then I feed the squirrels.
Priscilla
--
"You can't welcome someone into a body of Christ and then say only
certain rooms are open." -- dancertm in alt.religion.christian.episcopal
snipped-for-privacy@junk.min.net wrote:

Once a couple squirrels learn about tomatos it's hard to get them to unlearn it. Generally tomatos are not something they like very much, but if there is no easy water source, squirrels & chipmunks will break open tomatoes to get water. Sometimes providing them with another source of water keeps them off the tomatos, although that works best BEFORE they learn they can get a drink by busting them open, before they get a taste for flavored water. If you feed the squirrels something fatty like peanuts, crushed walnuts, sunflower seeds, or even just corn which they love to distraction, they would be inclined to ignore such secondary foods as tomatos or leaf buds & all the less-liked back-up foods.
-paghat the ratgirl
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html
at 09:07 PM, snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net (paghat) said:

They've got plenty of water - we live by a stream, and have for over 40 years. These squirrels just like tomatoes. :(
Alan

(paghat) said:

Our squirrels like to pick the tomatoes, take a bite, and then leave them on the ground.
I have had pretty good luck keeping them from digging in my gardens with blood meal. however, bird netting the plants may work best. that is what I am going to do with my peach and apricots this year. tired of the little buggers. Ingrid
snipped-for-privacy@junk.min.net wrote:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at http://list.lovemyoldhome.com/puregold / WEBSITE AT: http://www.mu.edu/~buxtoni/puregold/home.html www.drsolo.com Solve the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the recommendations I make. AND I DID NOT AUTHORIZE ADS AT THE OLD PUREGOLD SITE
I've had pretty good luck keeping assorted varmits from eating my plants by covering with nylon netting, which is very inexpensive and can be bought from most any fabric store.
Good luck! Suzy O

Try dusting the tomatoes with cayenne pepper or maybe a hot pepper spray.
Have fun Jim

I have the exact same problem. Last year, almost no tomatoes. Once the squirrels discovered my garden, they sampled every tomato. Has anyone tried "Shake Away"? Does it work?

Sort of. Not sure how much it influences the squirrels.
They appear to be more interested in the bird feeder. They've never really bothered my tomatoes much, and there are other food sources in my yard.
The shake away is mostly for the groundhog.

Swyck