Split magnolia

A neighbour has just fallen into our magnolia, and split it about 4 foot up, where a main fork used to be. The right hand side came off completely leaving a large split up the tree, however the left hand side is still attached fully. As the tree is about 12 foot and flowers lovely, is there anything i can do other than cut it below the split ? there aren't any branches below the split which is about 12 inches long.
snipped-for-privacy@james-chapman.co.uk (Jules) wrote in message

I don't know how prevalent magnolia trees are in the UK, but we have an abundant supply in the southern US. They are pretty, but one of the worse trees you could plant. Nothing will grow under them, the leaves won't mow or rot, they split, etc, etc. My philosophy is that if they are less than 100 years old, cut them down and get rid of them.
Bob S.