Somewhat Off Topic

Years ago, I read that, aside from the proper type of corn, the only other seed that could be popped like popcorn was Amaranth. Has anyone done this and, is there a source to purchase Amaranth seed for popping?

just curious

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I was curious too so I did a bit of Googling.

also read a few blogs and it seems the results across the board aren't that great. Everyone I read said that about 75% of it burned before any of it actually popped and the it's very teeny tiny puffs. Could be kind of cool for miniature popcorn strings for the doll house Christmas tree ;)

Val

Reply to
Val

Carl,

Try your request over on some of the food groups. Also try any of the health/organic food stores around you. I've had a cooked amaranth dish - sort of a pilaf; I liked it a lot.

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

thanx for the link. I had tried searching a long time ago and came up empty.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I'm not sure all amaranth seeds are appropriate for popping. You might find the info you're looking for at nativeseeds.org. They carry seeds for a variety of amaranth:

nonnymoose

Amaranth is also a really neat ornamental. Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

do not pop it.

Bill

Reply to
William Wagner

The fireweed in SC Alaska has bloomed out and is sending seeds out on feathery plumes.

Do you still want some seed? Holler soon, as it's been windy.

Email a snail address and I'll mail some seed this week.

Jan 59N., 151W.

Reply to
Jan Flora

Hey, thanks for the offer Jan, but I'm living in the desert now and fireweed wouldn't stand a chance here. :-(

Reply to
nonnymoose

I have some in my camera case I collected 3 years ago and just found, wrapped in cellophane. Think I have a shot at gettting them to grow after all this time? Got them in Hatchers Pass.

Betsy

Reply to
betsyb

Put the seed in the freezer for awhile, then try it. I'll bet it's viable : )

I'll collect a little bit of seed, in case yours doesn't grow.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Flora

Gee, you're bouncing around the west?

Which desert? I love the Sonoran desert around Tucson and love all of northern Nevada -- the Great Basin?

It's fall up here. Berry picking time...

Jan

Reply to
Jan Flora

Thanks Jan, I will pop it in now and break it out in the Spring and start them inside. I will let you know.

Betsy

Reply to
betsyb

I'm on the edge of the Mohave/Sonora deserts, but on the Mohave side - in the hills above the third hottest place in the country. *groan* Predominant vegetation is creosote and teddy bear cholla. It's been real difficult trying to grow anything because of the summer heat, and what does grow is quickly wiped out by voracious rabbits, burros and tortoises so even cactus needs to be surrounded by wire fencing. We're in a real ghost town, NW AZ, population 7. It's a different lifestyle, for sure. Karen

Reply to
nonnymoose