Somewhat Off Topic

Years ago, I read that, aside from the proper type of corn, the only other seed that could be popped like popcorn was Amaranth. Has anyone done this and, is there a source to purchase Amaranth seed for popping?
just curious
Carl
--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)

I was curious too so I did a bit of Googling.
http://www.recipetips.com/kitchen-tips/t-135-1019/Saut%C3%A9ingFryingStirFrying-Grains.asp
I also read a few blogs and it seems the results across the board aren't that great. Everyone I read said that about 75% of it burned before any of it actually popped and the it's very teeny tiny puffs. Could be kind of cool for miniature popcorn strings for the doll house Christmas tree ;)
Val
On 9/18/06 12:23 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@bubbleator.drizzle.com,

Carl,
Try your request over on some of the food groups. Also try any of the health/organic food stores around you. I've had a cooked amaranth dish - sort of a pilaf; I liked it a lot.
Cheryl
Val wrote:

http://www.recipetips.com/kitchen-tips/t-135-1019/Saut%C3%A9ingFryingStirFrying-Grains.asp
thanx for the link. I had tried searching a long time ago and came up empty.
Carl
--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)

Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote:

I'm not sure all amaranth seeds are appropriate for popping. You might find the info you're looking for at nativeseeds.org. They carry seeds for a variety of amaranth: http://www.nativeseeds.org/v2/cat.php?catID
On 9/18/06 11:58 AM, in article WfGdnVbBGcuQX5PYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@trueband.net, "nonnymoose"

Amaranth is also a really neat ornamental. Cheryl

I have dealt with these folks.
http://www.nuworldfoods.com /
I do not pop it.
Bill
--
S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
The fireweed in SC Alaska has bloomed out and is sending seeds out on feathery plumes.

Jan Flora wrote:

Hey, thanks for the offer Jan, but I'm living in the desert now and fireweed wouldn't stand a chance here. :-(

I have some in my camera case I collected 3 years ago and just found, wrapped in cellophane. Think I have a shot at gettting them to grow after all this time? Got them in Hatchers Pass.
Betsy

Put the seed in the freezer for awhile, then try it. I'll bet it's viable : )
I'll collect a little bit of seed, in case yours doesn't grow.
Jan
--
Bedouin proverb: If you have no troubles, buy a goat.

Thanks Jan, I will pop it in now and break it out in the Spring and start them inside. I will let you know.
Betsy

Gee, you're bouncing around the west?
Which desert? I love the Sonoran desert around Tucson and love all of northern Nevada -- the Great Basin?
It's fall up here. Berry picking time...
Jan
--
Bedouin proverb: If you have no troubles, buy a goat.

Jan Flora wrote:

I'm on the edge of the Mohave/Sonora deserts, but on the Mohave side - in the hills above the third hottest place in the country. *groan* Predominant vegetation is creosote and teddy bear cholla. It's been real difficult trying to grow anything because of the summer heat, and what does grow is quickly wiped out by voracious rabbits, burros and tortoises so even cactus needs to be surrounded by wire fencing. We're in a real ghost town, NW AZ, population 7. It's a different lifestyle, for sure. Karen