something strange in the soil

I haven't thought about this for a while, but after finding this group I thought I'd see if anyone has any ideas about it. A year or so ago, when I first started planting things around here, I found that when I dug holes within a few feet of the house and filled them with water, as the water drained, bursts of something, I assume a gas, were shooting from the sides of the holes creating a film like you see with oil on water, but not as heavy. It would appear just above the level of the water as it went down. Gas company checked it with their instrument when they were in the area, but found nothing related to the product they deal with. THis house was converted from gas 45 years ago.
ANyone have any ideas what this might be?
Thanks.
CK
Did you ever see the movie "Poltergeist"?
Was your house built on an ancient Indian burial site?

It's conceivable you're seeing alkyds and or alcohols that are associated with anaerobic decomposition, such as you would see in certain types of gray soil and marine clays...
Dave

Earthworm farts

"Tsu Doh Nimh" <`> wrote in message

And I thought all the morons were restricted to the alt.politics groups.

You're here, aren't you?
On 28 Nov 2004 11:17:49 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (country) wrote:

Termite treatment? Not a good idea to dig close to the foundation on old houses.
Regards,
Hal
(country) wrote:

That could be it alright, though I wouldn't have thought 6 ft would have been too close. But I didn't see the phenomenom further out so that's really the only thing that makes sense. Thanks for the insight...