Something I Didn't Plant

Page 1 of 2
This spring I planted a bed of lilies. Nothing else.
A year and a half ago, the spot that they're on was trying to be part of the lawn, but was failing. It was mostly dandelions. I used Round-up on the weeds, and a week later after they withered, I scalped all the grass and weeds, covered with newspaper, and a good 3" of bark mulch.
When I dug the area up for the lilies, the newspaper was about 75% decomposed, but the soil was clay. I added some compost, and tilled it in. I suspect that my interloper seed was in the compost. But what is it?
http://www.holzemville.com/1/what_is_it.html
TIA
--
Warren H.

==========
Run for your life!!!
Its a sunflower, Helianthus annuus!!!!

Are you SURE that that is not a triffid??!!!

Cereus-validus wrote:

Damn. I knew it was something unusual, and to be feared.
Are you sure? Shouldn't the bloom face east, not due west? And the spot it is growing in hasn't been dug since early April. Could it have taken root after being deposited on top of an inch or two of bark mulch? Or would it be so late in the season if it was under the mulch?
It just doesn't seem like a sunflower would be coming up so late in the season, and facing the wrong direction. Of course I haven't purposely grown them, and the ones that sprout around the bird feeder that sprout (and few actually do), bloomed two months ago, faced east or south, and were much smaller.
But if that's the verdict, then that's the verdict. And I'm going to have to round-up the neighborhood fowl and fauna to find out who the guilty party is.
--
Warren H.

==========

I had sunflowers starting up in mid-July. Yes, that's what it is, and the bloom, when it opens, will follow the sun. Enjoy the gift! :o)
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

Around here, it would be the Jays.
Warren said:

<snip>
I'm going to finger the jays. Notorious for caching sunflower seeds around the yard.

Finger the jays? How kinky?!!!!
Blue Jays are little more than Crows in fancy suits!!!!!

Cereus-validus said:

Don't make me send my pal Vinnie Boombatz after you!

Cereus-validus wrote:

Rats with wings.
dps said:

Crows and jays may be a bit thuggish, but don't qualify as rats. Native, intelligent, and classy in a way.
'Rats with wings' can only be starlings or pigeons.

"Rats with wings" would definitely be a good definition for starlings. They are vulgar bullies with no redeeming value. There should be a bounty on killing the pests.
Pigeons are more like clowns. When you see the way they walk, you almost feel sorry for them. Its almost like they need corrective shoes and rehabilitation.
***************************
Bats most definitely are not "rats with wings" despite their German name, they aren't even rodents.

Cereus-validus said:

I agree...young starlings cause a lot of damage in my vegetable garden in the spring. Often it nothing more than vandalism as they don't seem to know what's edible and what isn't.

When you see what a mess they make roosting in large numbers, 'clown' isn't what comes to mind -- more like 'guano machines'.
My daughter was mightily amused the other day by a sticker which suggested that 'Pigeons shouldn't eat chili.' And speaking of chili, this Sunday is the Annual Great Lakes Regional Chili Cook-off downtown in Plymouth: http://www.plymouth48170.com/events/CCO/CCO.asp
Anyway, back to insulting birds.
While we're at it we should pick a derogatory name for the widely introduced Canada geese that are pooping all over the parks these days. (In SE MI they've increased more than 50 times in numbers since the late 70s. It's a man-made problem as they were enthusiastically released all over the place for years.)

One redeeming trait--I've observed them eating Japanese beetles off of my canna plants. Not to excuse their other bad habits, but I am grateful for small favors.
Sue
--
snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net
www.suereno.com

Flying dogs?
Tree rats = squirrels Lawn rats = rabbits forest rats = deer suburban rats = ground hogs neighborhood rats = kids rug rats = little kids stinking rats = skunks
On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 04:59:53 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@someplace.net.net (Pat Kiewicz) wrote:

<snip>
Dinner.
And get some swans. They compete territorially with the gueese, and will chase them away.
Shirley Hicks, in Toronto, overlooking a Humber River marsh where the swans have done just that. The flock moved up to the park up river, and onto the local apartment buiding roofs. Now have to kick gueese out of the way when running in the 'hood. <snip>
TB
"A liberal is a conservative who's been through treatment." - Garrison Keillor
Shirley Hicks wrote:

Liberalism is not a political orientation, it is a mental disorder.
Portnoy complains off-topic too much.
William, why don't you use your real name: "Dick Head"?

Liberals, when confronted with the truth, resort to the only thing they know.....name-calling.
Cereus-validus wrote:

Liberals when confronted with anti-liberal fabrications, respond with the only thing anti-liberals understand.....name-calling, turnip-brain.