Trampoline bed spring

Most beds I see these days (cheaper ones anyway) have wood slats to support the matress. There used to be a type which was a kind of trampoline/net thing supported in the frame. Are these still available from somewhere? Actually I have an oak wooden frame I'd like to fit with such base - but I suppose (if available at all) are fixed sizes(?)

Reply to
Dave

I've never seen the point in these. They only allow the bed to sag in such a way as to negate any advantage of the modern pocket sprung mattress. I see a lot of the sprung bases at the local tip. Not seen them in the shops.

Could you use elastic strapping instead ? If you weave it at right-angles, that might do.

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

We bought a 'bed base' to put on our ancient bed frame and support our mattress. The net thing ones were awfully saggy, we always ended up sleeping as though in a canoe.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Ah - just thought - a rope bed :-)

The secret is to make it of short lengths of rope rather than one long one, then you can tighten them individually.

Sleep tight ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Well there is a poiint to this. I worked in NL for a time and they were quite common there - *but* they were supported at intervals by removable straps. It was really easy to setup the bed the way you wanted. ie It could be contoured an many differnt ways. They were great. If all the straps are removed of course...

*That* is the point of them. Infinitely better that a row of wooden slats. I'd rather sleep on the floor - and in fact have done.

Please let me know where your tip is so I can come and get one.

Reply to
Dave

canoe.

Wooden slats are fine when used with a good mattress.

Reply to
John

Hi,

Ikea do sprung beech slats which should be better if you want something with a bit of give:

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

So have I. Last weekend I was sleeping on solid wood (not slats) with the benefit of sheepskins.

I haven't seen one in forty years!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher