Soft shell possibly scale Question

Just about in my garden when I noticed the yews were dark real dark blackish compared to new growth. Close by Chinese holly had same discoloration. Upon inspection it seems I have a lot of creatures that are about 1/2 inch long and about 1/8 an inch wide. The are divided in half with a light brown and white. They are soft to touch.
I'm wondering if more light and air may slow them down? First time any thing like this in 30 + years.
Bill
--
S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade