Shade tolerant plants

Now the foxgloves have stopped flowering what plant would be a goo

replacement in a shadey boarder, that will offer height and colour? M boarder is looking so bare now

-- foxglove77

Reply to
foxglove77

Where are you? What is your climate?

Reply to
David E. Ross

PS. I live in London, England

Reply to
foxglove77

Impatiens, geraniums, pelargoniums (often called "geraniums" but not really the same). These will all do okay with some sun but also tolerate complete shade.

Reply to
David E. Ross

Hosta which I add caladiums too but the latter is annual about here. I like white christmas as the white in dark places is neat.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Depends a bit on how shady the border is.

Martagon lilies will do very well in light shade, and will naturalize; Japanese anenomes the same - though try to keep to the white forms which are less rampant. Both flower after foxgloves. The native wood gentian is well worth considering.

Reply to
beccabunga

For the shadiest spots where even impatiens or sweet william complain for need of light, English or Spanish bluebells can't be beat. They'll even thrive right up next to the roots of big shrubs, or back under the eaves of the house that get almost no water. They're only present in spring of course but that's enough. I wouldn't waste a choice garden space on them because they're just so damned great in spots that are otherwise ungardenable.

-paghat the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat

It was right at the base of a White Pine, and popped up every year like clockwork. Hmmm, there's that wasted space between the shed and the compost...I wonder...

Chris

Reply to
Chris

I don't know where you live but here in the mid south, zone 6, my hostas are starting to bloom in shades of lavender to white. The Impatiens have been in full bloom in the shade since late April.

Reply to
Marie Dodge