Shade plants for containers

Sorry...i meant 50"...little difference.... And I have mentioned the zone..Toronto 5b... THe location is quite bright...some light sun

THanks for all your ideas

Paulo

----- Original Message ----- From: "paghat" Newsgroups: rec.gardens Sent: Sunday, 01 May, 2005 13:36 Subject: Re: Shade plants for container

> >> I am looking to plant somethin in containers 50' diam X 50' deep. >> Location >> is shaded, beside a glass wall facing south to the lake, this location is >> like a protected gallery without any winter heating. I was thinking some >> hostas but i would like also something flowering. Do you think a >> hydrangea >> can make it there? I would like to plant a perennial >> >> Tahnks for any idea >> >> Paulo (Toronto, 5B) > > Fifty FOOT containers? Those are some big containers. You don't say your > zone so some of this might not be useful: > > Hydrangeas need BRIGHT shade or dappled sunlight to flower well. If there > is any time during the day when it would get SOME bright sun, hydrangeas > might bloom well even if shaded most of the rest of the day. But > generally, in deeper shade they'll have nice foliage only, &amp if you get > one of the variegated hydrangeas, bright foliage may be enough, but > flowers will be disappointing without some sunlight. An exception might be > oakleaf hydrangea; it'll bloom well in considerable shade but isn't apt to > have such gorgeous autumn leaf color without sun, though deeper shade > oakleaf hygrangeas are sometimes semi-evergreen in protected spots, so > it's all a trade-off. > > The floweriest shade shrub is Camellia sasanqua, but if you're not in zone > 7 or 8, they probably won't do as well. > > Old-fashioned bleedinghearts bloom spectacularly in the shade, but die > back in summer. Smaller Dicentra eximia or Dicentra formosa (native > bleeding hearts) do not die back in summer if they remain moist, bloom > fairly well in deep shade but better with indirect sunlight. > > PJM rhodies can bloom in more shade than most rhodies but SOME sunlight > makes it more certain. The rhodies that always bloom well in shade are the > Korean Azalea 'Poukhahense' & a cultivar bred from it 'Purple Splendor' > Azalea (not to be confused with 'Purple Splendour' a pontus hybrid that > wants sun). > > Aucuba shrubs get pretty big. Though the flowers are insigifnicant the > leaves are yellow & green & bring light to a dark location. If you're > careful to acquire only one male aucuba with one or moure female, they'll > produce enormous bright red winter berries so very, very colorful. If you > only have one aucuba even if it's female it won't have berries as it needs > a male. Garden centers don't make it easy to sex them, so get one with > berries already on it to be sure it's female, & for its male partner get > the commonly available 'Mr Goldstrike.' > > Another evergreen shrub, Leucothoe, has small white dangly flowers in > winter with quite a fine vanilla scent that is most noticeable in enclosed > planting corridors where the perfume isn't too quickly dispersed. > > A big perennial called rogersia blooms well in considerable shade. > > For a front border, hardy cyclamens bloom spectacularly well in autumn > (Cyclamen hederifolium) & winter to early spring (Cyclamen coum) but die > back during late spring & summer. An evergreen for a front border would be > wintergreen, which has small white flowers &amp big red berries, quite a > nice groundcover mini-shrub for a shade garden. > > Corydalis flexuosa has extremely wonderful fish-shaped blue flowers, an > easy & superior plant for Zone 8 in the shade, but delicate outside of > zone 8. > > Possibly the floweriest of all large perennials for deeper shade would be > Japanese anemones, nice foliage then in early autumn bbursts into > spectacular bloom. > > -paghat the ratgirl > -- > Get your Paghat the Ratgirl T-Shirt here: >
"History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden > people maintaining a free civil government." -Thomas Jefferson
Reply to
Paulo