Seed Catalogs - Spring is coming!

Page 2 of 3

Yea, our's is a fairly shallow one-pitch shed. They covered it with bitrathane (sp?) before putting on the final shingles. He wanted to use metal, but they told him the pitch was way too shallow.

Bring it down! <G>
Actually it's supposed to moderate today, up to the 30's. But it was colder last night, 3.9. BRRRR.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Ann wrote:

morning ya'll. this cold front extended its dip on down into NC and this morning it was 17F. yesterday did not get up above freezing. today is forecast to reach 45F. for this location 17F is grounds for using the word cold as an adjective.
ya'll have a nice day.
On 1/4/08 7:42 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com,

Not sure about here!
Got the nasty gram that I need to shovel out the mail box better. It was, but the town plowed it in again... Cheryl

-7.6F, not counting windchill (i don't seem to have a memory function under windchill). but you probably really didn't want to know that ;)

ours is being held up by the snowbank. Tom pushed the snow a bit too hard with the tractor. we were trying to get the big banks at the end of the drive a bit lower... at least enough to see a Mini Cooper ;) seriously, people, including the Nottingham school bus driver, drive like idiots (45-50 in a 25 zone. narrow, twisty & hilly) on our road & it's nice to see what's going too fast down the road before it hits you... lee
On 1/4/08 10:41 AM, in article Xns9A1B6CCBCB5BFenigmaempirenet@199.125.85.9,

Hey - we have people that come screaming down the hill and blow right through their stop sign (those of us going straight have right of way). And I can't see them (shrubbery blocking, snow mounds blocking).

I actually have an extra mailbox mounted on a sawhorse I keep out behind the garage for just those circumstances ;->
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

My Dad has a sliding mail box that can be extended next to the primary.
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
"Energy is the only life and is from the Body and Reason is the bound

Pictures?

I can do that.
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
"Energy is the only life and is from the Body and Reason is the bound

Cool, I'd like to see it, too! :o)
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
In article

alt.binaries.photos.original
Has
Mail Box snow Extension as a image.
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
"Energy is the only life and is from the Body and Reason is the bound
On 1/5/08 1:24 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@sn-indi.vsrv-sjc.supernews.net, "Bill"

Sigh - we don't get the binaries...
Think I found it via google. Useful C

That's a thought
This year, I'd stick one a pointy post and keep it handy
On 1/3/08 9:18 PM, in article Xns9A1AD8CE62832enigmaempirenet@199.125.85.9,

You going to put better than R50 up there too? That was a big deciding factor when we looked at roofing - metal is wonderful, but can be a heat suck. C

the metal roof will be insulated & it'll be built with an air space between it & the existing roof to create a bit more pitch and allow for vents & soffits, which we don't currently have. the sum total insulation in this house is about 8" of vermiculite in the attic crawl. heat suck is nothing new. lee
On 1/4/08 6:48 PM, in article Xns9A1BBF68FC0F7enigmaempirenet@199.125.85.9,

Sounds good. I'm still happy we opted for the R50 roof. We wanted more, but the building inspector was unused to super insulated houses and other such energy saving things (no solatubes like I wanted, no berm, no heat pump... IDIOT).
The only thing I'd change is to replace the shingles with slate or metal tiles (look like traditional roofing) and I want to add a heater to the back of the house on the roof to melt snow and prevent ice dams. But so many trees went down in back (into the woods) that there is more sun there....
Cheryl

Huh? Why would he object to heat pumps or especially solatubes?? There's a solatube in my inlaw's house down in Tennessee, it's fantastic, looks like the light is on in that (formerly) dark kitchen all day long.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
On 1/5/08 7:12 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com,

I believe the word idiot covers it rather completely. Anything "new" was no go in his book and was rejected as not meeting code.

Oh, I got that, I guess my question was more rhetorical. Drunk with power applies, too.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
On 1/5/08 10:58 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com,