Seed Catalogs - Spring is coming!

Page 1 of 3
Sitting here on this cold Ohio Valley day (10 degrees, 3 inches of new snow) I am enjoying the new seed and plant catalogs that are arriving in the mail daily. Since Christmas I have got about half a dozen and I'm sure that there are more to come.
Which catalogs do you like the most and who is you favorite seed or plant vendor?
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years

Duh. Victoria's Secret, obviously.

Burpee for almost all my seeds, because in 35 years of gardening, their seeds have always exceeded the claimed parameters, and my expectations. Cooks Garden for the more obscure greens that Burpee doesn't carry or doesn't label clearly.

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/Home.aspx?source=lk-old reasonable organic
http://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/ pricey good stock
http://www.fairweathergardens.com/ pricey great varieties
Bill Wagner who is looking for snow and just put out some suet.
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
"Energy is the only life and is from the Body and Reason is the bound

Bill,
How much snow do you want? I have plenty.
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

And I'll send you some cold weather. Right now is is 12 degrees!
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years

You folks just have to coordinate right now it is 18 F with 29 F the high for today. It is dry but warmer is coming and I'd guess some rain then. I know why too. It is my fault I bought an electric snow shovel two winters ago. Have yet to use it . Heart problems sort of made that smart but I was not aware of the snow Jinx it would cause.
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
"Energy is the only life and is from the Body and Reason is the bound
On 1/3/08 10:06 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@sn-indi.vsrv-sjc.supernews.net, "Bill"

How the heck does an electric shovel work?
I have the plow guy - an absolute necessity this year! I do the walk to the front door C

http://preview.tinyurl.com/yq7fln
I have a portable GFI too in pristine condition. ( never used) I'm not selling as soon as I do it will snow ;))
Bill Thinking about what to plant that we never did before.
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
"Energy is the only life and is from the Body and Reason is the bound
On 1/3/08 11:40 AM, in article snipped-for-privacy@sn-indi.vsrv-sjc.supernews.net, "Bill"

A mini snow blower! totally useless here.
On 1/3/08 9:45 AM, in article 477cf4f1$0$30762$ snipped-for-privacy@news.iglou.com,

I'm colder - 1F this AM at sunrise and now a toasty 9

no no NO! we already have the cold. right now it's 7F with a windchill of -15F. you can keep your cold weather... oh, wait. your cold is warmer than my cold. ok, send it over! Cheryl, how much snow did you get New Years Day? we got another foot. i tried walking through the veggie garden yesterday. the snow is up to my thigh! someone parked a Mini Cooper in my driveway & you couldn't see it over the snowbank. that was funny. lee
--
Question with boldness even the existence of god; because if
there be

I figure we got another 6+ inches. Hard to tell with the wind blowing so! Cheryl

Where do you live Cheryl ?
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
"Energy is the only life and is from the Body and Reason is the bound
On 1/3/08 3:13 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@sn-indi.vsrv-sjc.supernews.net, "Bill"

Southern NH - only 10-15 miles SW from Lee as the crow flies. Not that the crows are flying today. C

oh, yeah. wind. coming flat off the pasture into poor Perl's crappy little makeshift shed... i put up a piece of playwood & yet another tarp to try to reduce the wind driven snow. hard to keep her dry that way. i was so happy her llama coat came yesterday afternoon. i put it on her *over* the blanket. with the wind blocked the shed warmed up to a bit over ambient outside temps & the sun was shining in the unblocked side this morning.

what is it, more like 25-30 miles if you drive? i wasn't doing much of that today either. lee
On 1/3/08 6:22 PM, in article Xns9A1ABAF512465enigmaempirenet@199.125.85.9,

Sounds about right. It a typical "can't get therah from herah" situation.
I drove - had to go to the rink and a different rink and the pair of had to do this NOW errands.
And today there is - drive son to school in the dark and get skates sharpened. Thank heavens for down.

i had to explain to my brother in Amherst that it really does take an hour to get there from here. it doesn't *look* that far on a map, but the cowpaths for highways wander in big loops....

i have insulated overalls & a blanket lined barn coat. oddly enough, even when it's below freezing, i end up at least unbuttoning the coat, or taking it off when i'm working with Perl or in the chicken barn. and i'm usually one of those people who is cold all the time. lee
On 1/4/08 7:07 AM, in article Xns9A1B4871D2491enigmaempirenet@199.125.85.9,

And you can use 101 for part of it!

If I'm doing something, I'm generally OK with a couple of layers. Standing still waiting for the bus - long johns and extra layers.

It was a balmy six degrees F this morning. 15.4 was our high. Hubby is on his way up to the Maine house to shovel off the roof, I guess we've got two feet sitting on it, which means the snow out back would be past my thigh! I do wish we'd kept our snowcover down here, unfortunately it melted before this cold snap.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

it's 0 now. i don't want to figure out the windchill. i'm going to reroof in the next year or two & it's going to be a metal roof. a hipped roof Federal doesn't have much pitch. lee