Safe Conifer

I wish to plant a single conifer about 6ft from my house. I am aware of the problems with lellandi but I have found a different variety that grows to a maximum of two metres which suits me. Would the roots be a problem in this position ? Is there a conifer I could safely plant this close to the house that did not grow much taller than two metres ?
--
Alan Marriott

Alan Marriott wrote:

Does it really need to be a conifer or could some other sort of evergreen fill the bill? There are some narrow Ilex (holly) varieties. One beauty is http://www.usna.usda.gov/Newintro/skypenc1.html but it is probably not hardy in far northern climes.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]