sad news

Heronswood closing and moving to Pennsylvania.

Travis M.

I, from first hand personal experience, think the only sad part about Heronswood is that is was never a customer friendly nursery in the first place. The mail order plants were small, sad, pathetic and expensive. I got stiffed three out of three orders so I could see no reason to chance even bother ordering again. IF you ever got in, the few times I went was "by appointment only, my friends and I, after a 3 hour drive, were treated as if they did us a big damned favor to even be around and questions were answered with a "how could you be so stupid" attitude. We called ahead to see if the plants we wanted were available, were assured they were, but upon arrival only 2 of the many we asked about were for sale. People skills they don't have. Their customer service on the phone was rude at best if there was a problem with orders.The place is an awesomely beautiful garden that would be difficult to rival, it has plants that are breath taking but as far as I'm concerned, as a business, it was merely a great way for the Heronswood owners to get their traveling to exotic places financed by tax write offs. I can understand why Martha Stewart made this one of her favorite places since their pretension and condescension was so very complimentary to each other.

I hope now that they got their bucks from Burpee their next financial coup will be with somebody who wants to open a beautiful public garden. I heard the Heronswood duo on the radio/TV (can't remember, it's been awhile, some garden spot I was listening to while puttering around the house) and they said they HOPED it would not be sold to developers and destroyed. I guess the next step for Heronswood Nursery fans is to sit back and see who the highest bidder will be; a devoted horticulture connoisseur with deep pockets or a guy with a bulldozer and plans for another housing development and strip mall.

Val (just south of Travis)

> --

Reply to
Val

I'm sorry your experience was so bad. I received what I ordered from them and the plants are still in my yard and alive today. The plants were intentionally small to keep shipping cost down. The one time we went there we knew it was going to be open to the public and I have to agree it is a beautiful place. Dan and his partner got the money from Burpee several years ago.

Reply to
Travis M.

Reply to
Jangchub