rototilling rocky soil

Page 2 of 2
Eigenvector wrote:

Depending on the type of tiller and the size and density of the rocks your experiences will vary. I've tilled relatively rocky soil using a huge rental tiller that had a sophisticated hydraulic drive system and it did a fair job but still left me to manually pick up and dispose of the rocks.
Far easier and quicker is to find a local company with a Bobcat-type machine that has a rock-picker attachment. They can readily pick out everything over about 3/4" leaving decently clean soil for you to amend and work with. It is amazing how much an experienced person can do with a Bobcat in a couple of hours and the cost is probably less than you imagine. It certainly can't hurt to ask. BTW: there are also huge tiller attachments to go with the Bobcat and the machine with a bucket on it can rip up really bad tree roots and such with almost no fuss.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

I didn't think those units would clean much over a few inches deep.
WIll they leave a fairly deep cleaned area, and I'm also wondering about the area the OP lives in. Will winter frost work new rocks up?
I don't know, I'm just curious.
Care Charlie
Charlie expounded:

We call l'em New England potatoes around here!
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Whoa.......gives a whole new meaning to new peas and potatoes.
Or New England Boiled Dinner! *#:-)
Charlie
On 6/27/07 10:28 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com,

My grandfather called them "spring potatoes"!

There are stumps in my yard everywhere. They are very nice stumps, all about 3-4 inches high, but more stumps than I care to count. Keeping the grass trimmed is an exercise in futility as I will encounter stumps more often than not.
I would like to take a lawn mower to the stumps but fear what will happen with all those damn stumps. What kind of things should I look for when mowing a really stumpy lawn? Do I need a special mower, should I simply not do it, would renting one be a bad idea?(I'm thinking of damage to the unit), would a mower not do a good job? Are there other options besides a hand saw?
Welcome to the northeast. We have tools called picks & shovels and pry bars here. I suggest you make an investment.

Hi Ivanna,
The mower that I think will solve your problem is commonly called a weed-wacker or trimmer. I have one of these:
http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/ModelDetail.asp?ModelName=hht35sltat
Echo and a number of other manufacturers also make them check out Home Depot or Lowes.
The way they work is they cut the lawn with a nylon cord. So stumps etc will not damage the machine.
Best, Mike.

That's a string trimmer... they're good for trimming and edging... you'd have to be built like the Incredible Hulk to cut much lawn with one of those. They also make a machine that uses the same string principle (but a little more heavy duty) that's mounted on wheels just like a push mower but still it's for whacking down overgrown lawn/ weeds and very light brush in relatively small areas (really a less expensive version of a sickle bar), not for mowing lawn... I wouldn't want to have to push one of those on a slope.
For a large slope where one isn't too fussy about precision lawn finishing the best choice is a small tractor fitted with a flail mower... flail mowers handle overgrown grass so you don't need to mow but every 3-4 weeks. And when I say small tractor I mean a real tractor, with PTOs and 3 point hitch, not one of those toys r us riding mowers sold at Lowes and the Depot... those things hardly have enough power to carry a grown man over level ground, let alone up a slope.

Those machines are for girly men. This is the trimmer you really want: http://www.ziddio.com/oneVideo.zd?dispatch tch&artifactIdx29

I rented a Bush Wacker 30 years ago when I first moved in. Looked like a lawn mower with one big difference. It was belt driven so a stump would not destroy the metal shaft or engine .
Bill
--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

Actually it's a lot simpler to remove all those small stumps... only need to remove them once, gotta mow around them nearly forever.

I used it on Wild Blueberries with and occasional small stump hidden about. Just along our driveway and various foot paths. That area in my yard is not mowed but a home for hosta, day lilies, woodruff and a couple strange grass's a friend gave me.
Bill who still thinks of your stream and being a beaver in inclination would have a stocked pond with bamboo.
Bill
--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade