Roses and upstate NY

Thinking about an arbor for a rental property in upstate NY.
What are the recommendations for climbing roses?
If this is not the right newsgroup could someone please point me in the right direction?

Take a look at www.vintagegardens.com and they have superior information about all manner of roses. Take their information and buy your roses locally. Where in upstate NY are you talking about?
Victoria
On 01/22/2004 6:36 AM, in article
opined:

Mid Hudson Valley

On 1/22/04 10:07 AM, in article BC35271E.4EAEC% snipped-for-privacy@compuserve.net,

Nice area! Try Lowe's Own Root Roses (in Nashua NH).
Cheryl

The biggest issue you will have will be hardiness. Most roses in your zone require extensive winter protection to be able to survive, much less bloom. Since this is rental property, I'm sure you don't want anything that needs too much fussing with either. http://www.springvalleyroses.com/ is a nursery in a similar climate that will have good recomendations on hardiness. William Baffin is the standard recommended variety for ease of care and winter hardiness, but like any climbing rose, it will need to be trained to it's support structure. Will you be close enough to be able to do this, (a monthly task once the rose starts to achieve some size) or will your tenants be able to learn enough to take care of it? No property maintainence personnel will be able to do it, that's for sure. They're pretty much limited to mow and blow guys who do a really good job of killing roses and other perennials.
While I love Vintage Gardens and have ordered tons of roses from them, they ARE in California and have not got a clue about hardiness issues with any of their varieties and will make no recommendations about the issue..
That is a good site Sunflower! You reminded me of another. This nursery specializes in hardy cold weather roses, and can give you sound advise as well, these ladies run a great nursery and are fun to talk to, and eager to help you make the right choices. Their website is:
http://www.highcountryroses.com /
Janet
On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 15:53:24 GMT, "Sunflower"

Hi Wolf,
You will want a climbing rose with flexible canes for a rose arbor. Especially if it is squared at the top. I would visit your local rose gardens and see what they have growing, and take note of what you like. What rose does well in one place, may do poorly in another place. If you go to the www.ars.org website, they will have a list of consulting rosarians from your area with their email addresses. Contact one of them for suggestions as well.
Janet