Rodents in my apple tree?

Something was moving about in my apple tree at 4:30 in the morning. I figured bird. If it's a bird it's a funny moving bird. I threw some water at the tree and watched the critter move; it didn't hop. It ran from one limb to another. So, what's my likely pest? Rat? Something else? I didn't know rats climbed apple trees. I'm not surprised, just didn't know. Suburban location Sonoma County. Remedy? Remember, I can't shoot it (suburban location).

Had them in mine. Cats and/or poison.

Strychnine is good.

We have cats and dogs that can access our backyard.

Why not use a possum trap. We catch lots of possums (and cats) with apples as bait. Then we let the cats go.

A possum trap,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
http://www.marsupialsociety.org/images/possum_trap_1_copy.jpg
I actually saw one of those *&%(*%&$ squirrels leaving with an apple in its mouth. A few years ago I saw a woodchuck in the apple tree.
Bryan wrote:

Bryan wrote:

apple trees. The rats can climb and jump like you wouldn't believe. Heck give 'em a little Trader Vic's umbrella and they can walk upright on the phone lines.You can place poison out at night as they are nocturnal, but you'll have to remove it before daylight unless you also want the squirrels gone as well. I have so many apples on my trees that I don't mind letting the squirrels have a few, besides it's amusing to try and watch them carry a Granny Smith twice the size of their head along the top of my fence and climb up the telephone pole in the corner of the yard. Keeps the dog amused as well. (As a side note saw a teaser on the SF news about a rat infestation in the north bay)
Zone 9 Campbell, CA

I saw the teaser, too; right after I posted my question! Didn't get to watch it though.

Many years ago in Seattle, I looked out my apartment window into a cherry tree, & there was a family or rats sitting in a row on their haunches eating cherries, their naked tales hanging down. They were so cute.
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html