Paint the Poison? - Weeds

I've thought of and read of brushing on the poison. I'd like to keep the application as local as possible. I think an all-vegetation killer applied so will do for all to be rid of. Any thoughts or suggestions? Dan

Reply to
dan.c.quinn

snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

It can work very well. I've 'painted' Roundup in several circumstances, the last time was a mass of grassy bindweed coming up through a big group planting of groundcover juniper.

Reply to
David Bockman

Reply to
Sterling

My concern is a lawn almost gone. I've nearly finished a deep dethatching of a front portion. Much moss, a lot of clover, and old clippings has added up to many yard bags; all from an area about

700 square feet. Numerous weeds small and large remain as well as some patchy growth. That group which does not belong is the target for brush applied herbicide. The area is now dry. Should I first lime, fertilize, and water, then brush on the poison? Perhaps some other sequence should be followed? Dan
Reply to
dan.c.quinn

If you have a northern lawn with northern grasses (rye, fescue, bluegrass) then August 15 to September 15 is the best time to reseed. You should have a soil test and apply what is needed for the grasses you choose and then reseed. The sooner you kill the weeds, the sooner the area under them can be reseeded. You should rough up the areas that need reseeding. You can select varieties of grass that do well in your situation. I like fescues since they don't need rich soil and fertilizer and are reasonably fine. Blue grasses are the cadilac of grasses but are heavy feeders and are not tolerant of shade, rough use, and abusive mowing. There are good ryes, but some are annual and many are course.

Regarding herbicides, you can easily apply roundup with a brush. I would use concentrate and a brush or sponge type brush. Roundup take about a week to see the death in the green part since it kills the roots first. You apply to the green part and the roundup is carried to the roots internally.

Reply to
Stephen Henning