Rhododendron Update and thank you

I wrote a few days back concerning a couple of sick rhododendrons. I took the advice of the Mr Henning and dug out and removed the top 4 inches of soil together with the mulch. Though the roots looked healthy the soil was heavy and somewhat compacted.
I pruned back the worst parts of the shrub. I replaced the soil from the tips of the roots to about 6 inches out with some store-bought top soil, mixed with the darkest stuff from under my pines and added 1/2 pint of vinegar for good measure. I applied this soil and spread a thin amount up to, but not touching, the main trunk.
A good watering in followed by brand new mulch and a mere 3 days later the difference is amazing. The plant has thrown up green leaf buds, is perkier, and in general looks worlds better. The brown leaves are no longer noticeable and I swear they look like they have healed themselves, but I know this cannot be true.
Of course I changed too many variables to identify which one was the problem, but the main thing the plants are doing well.
Anyway, thanks to Mr Henning for suggesting that I look deeper than the symptoms and hopfully these plants will make it, now.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
Add image file

Site Timeline

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.