Rhododendron

Hi,

I'm looking to plant some rhododendrons in a bed about 4m x 1m. The spot is very sunny and has previously grown a few daffodils, bluebells and tulips. I want them to fill the space eventually, grow no higher than 1m and be of the evergreen variety. I'm yet to test the acidity of the soil.

Just looking for advice on which species I should go for, how many I should plant and what the best time of year is to buy/plant them....plus anything else which may be of use to me!

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
Caz6

Based on my experience Rhodys do not grow well in sunny places. I'd plant something else.

Good luck, EJ > Hi,

Reply to
Ernie Willson

Ernie Willson wrote in news:4a3e19a5$0$6159$ snipped-for-privacy@news.newshosting.com:

i don't know any that stay shorter than a meter, either. i think what the OP might want is azaleas? they love sun & some stay really small (i have one that's over 10 years old & about a foot high. it gets wider, but not taller) lee

Reply to
enigma

Hi Carolyn,

There are lots of rhododendrons that will do what you want in most temperate climates. You didn't mention where you live, the hardiness zone and climate.

In most temperate zones, the Yaks (hybrids of Rhododendron yakushimanum) and many of the small leaved varieties will do what you want. The American Rhododendron Society has a website to help you pick plants. It is at :

this page select the height, and hardiness for your area and it will list those that fit. Then look to see if they are recommended for full sun or are to be avoided for full sun.

Another page recommends plants for each part of the US:

you can look up these plants to see if they do well in full sun.

A couple of the hardiest small plants are:

Anna H. Hall: very heat and sun tolerant Weston's Aglo: sun tolerant

Caz6 wrote:

Reply to
Stephen Henning