non-invasive groundcover for shady slope at Maryland

I don't known the first thing of groundcovering plants. Should I get seeds or plugs? Any particular nursery recommendation? I live at suburban washington dc (north). thanks in advance!

Reply to
Limei

Sounds like a job for Pachysandra to me since it will grow in fairly heavy shade even under evergreen trees and grows to an even height so it gives a nice carpet effect. I've had some in my yard for seven years and have not seen it spreading in a menacing manner. Vinca minor is pretty good although it does seem to spread more. I've never seen seeds for either of these plants so I guess it will be in plugs or small pots or possibly even bareroot.

Reply to
John McGaw

For a twist on that traditional suggestion, there is a lovely variegated pachysandra, Pachysandra terminalis 'Variegata', as well as a smaller leaved variety called 'Green Sheen' that has leaves which appear constantly wet and shiny-- very attractive.

You could also intersperse with shade loving shrubs such as Kerria japonica 'Picta' and Red Ozier Dogwood, Cornus stolonifera.

Dave

Reply to
David J Bockman

Yes, I've seen mention of several Pachycandra cultivars but haven't seen them in person. Having several different varieties interspersed in drifts might give a nice tapestry effect. I do know that it is pretty reliable species under most shade and soil conditions which is why I mentioned it in the first place. In other words -- if I haven't killed mine in seven years it must be pretty darned reliable ;-)

Reply to
John McGaw

Thanks all for the help! Also, does anyone know of a good place (mail order?)to find Green Sheen Pachysandra?

Reply to
Limei