Reparing a sloping lawn

Hi folks,

I've got this side yard (photo link below) on a slope where water has been washing top soil away for a year or so. There is only dried thatch now. I made some terrace-like rows using a shovel, hoping this would collect enough water to get some new grass seed going.

So far the openings are catching the water. Think it has a chance of working?

LR&T

Lawn Ranger

I've got this side yard (photo link below) on a slope where water has been washing top soil away for a year or so. There is only dried thatch now. I made some terrace-like rows using a shovel, hoping this would collect enough water to get some new grass seed going.

So far the openings are catching the water. Think it has a chance of working?

LR&T

===

I forgot to say.... this area still has a little Bermuda grass. I did not want to damage the roots any more than necessary, so I just pushed the shovel down about 4 inch and then levered it back just enough to leave a 1/2-inch or so V-shaped trench for the water to have a place to soak.

Reply to
Lawn Ranger

Hi folks,

First off, for the home repair and gardens folks, the lawn groups don't seem to be active right now, so I hope this is close enough to the topics here.

I've got this side yard (photo link below) on a slope where water has been washing top soil away for a year or so. There is only dried thatch now. I made some terrace-like rows using a shovel, hoping this would collect enough water to get some new grass seed going.

So far the openings are catching the water. Think it has a chance of working?

This area still has a little Bermuda grass. I did not want to damage the roots any more than necessary, so I just pushed the shovel down about 4 inch and then levered it back just enough to leave a 1/2-inch or so V-shaped trench for the water to have a place to soak.

LR&T

Reply to
Lawn Ranger

Range,

Is it always that shady? The unshaded areas look ok.

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

On 6/25/2013 4:49 PM, Lawn Ranger wrote: ...

Bermuda will not tolerate shade more than partial so if the thin spot is in shade as shown it'll never fill in that area--you'll need a fescue or other shade-tolerant variety in the shaded area.

As for the run-off; all will depend on how much and how hard it rains before you can get something else started.

In warmer areas, mid-summer is tough time to try to establish anything new; be better to wait 'til fall as far as probability of success unless you're pretty far north...

Reply to
dpb

I was going to make a similar comment. Burmuda grass really does not like shade.

Reply to
David E. Ross

The sidewalk is on the east side. Shady until about 1pm until the sun clears the tree.

Reply to
Guv Bob

Bob,

Ok, it's partially shaded. Talk to your ag extension folks. You want to know when to plant grass and what sort of grass will grow in a partilly shaded spot. See if they do a free soil sample. I bet they recommend fescue planted in Sept.

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

Thanks - the rest of the yard is full sun. I'll look into overseeding with something that likes shade in that area. I checked today and it's sunny 6-9am, then sunny again from 12-3 and then shaded again. I sowed Bermuda seed on Sunday and it started coming up on Tuesday. Is that normal? I have never seen it come up so quickly before. Today (Thurs) the early ones are up to 1/2 inch with new ones sprouting every day. It's been in the mid 70s, but dry and fairly windy so I'm having to water 3-4 times a day to keep it moist.

I also put down some 15-15-15 everywhere except the new seeded areas on Sunday and it's greening up really quickly also. If it keeps this up, I'll be in fat city in no time.

FYI, last year, the neighbors overseeded their yard and early in the mornings it was covered end to end with birds. I have had good luck hanging CD's in the garden, so I hung one over each patch about an inch off the ground, and it really does keep those little rascals away. All except a couple of doves - they just duck around the CD's and keep on trucking. They don't seem to be going after the seed because they spend more time in the grassy areas than in the patches.

Reply to
Guv Bob

Bob,

I've no experience with Bermuda grass. I also do not know where you live. Thus I have no idea what is "normal". Why are you fertilizing? Is your soil deficient? When did you have your soil tested? I doubt that this is a good time for planting or fertilizing grass. Is this recommended by your extension agent? Watering 3-4 times a day? Who recommended that?

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

"David L. Martel" wrote.

Other grass is OK but testing showed soil low in nitrogen and phosphorus. I'm only fertilizing existing good areas now - not newly seeded patches.

Around here in So Calif you can seed year round. Been 60's and 70's the last few weeks and should be an inch or more before it hits 80. Doesn't get hot until late August.

County agents only deal with commercial farms here. They charge a LOT to test soil, so the home kits are the only practical way to do.

It's common practice to keep the seed wet until it starts to sprout. Then cut back as it takes root.

Been about 3 weeks and Bermuda grass is up about 1/2-3/4 inch now. Since I'm a novice at this, apparently it just takes regular watering and patience.

Here's a tip that really works well.... Hanging a few CDs over the patches kept all the birds away. A neighbor seeded their lawn a few weeks earlier and I counted 40+ birds in their lawn every morning. Never had one in my yard.

Another tip -- don't use the lovely wife's CDs.

Reply to
Guv Bob

On 7/7/2013 1:24 AM, Guv Bob wrote [in part]:

Yes, county agricultural agents deal with commercial agriculture. You should have contacted your county agricultural extension. The latter operates a master gardener program that advises and trains home gardeners for free. See to find the extension office for your county.

Reply to
David E. Ross

I'm only fertilizing existing good areas now - not newly seeded patches.

last few weeks and should be an inch or more before it hits 80.

Doesn't get hot until late August.

****Hah! and yet again, Hah! Even near the beach where it's always 20 degr ees cooler than inland, it has been bitchin' hot last few days. Saving gra ce is the "night and morning low clouds" that I've been hearing on the radi o for (censored] years. Only too bad for the tourists and folks from inlan d who have their beach day cut short.

test soil, so the home kits are the only practical way to do.

n cut back as it takes root.

I'm a novice at this, apparently it just takes regular watering and patienc e.

es kept all the birds away. A neighbor seeded their lawn a few weeks earli er and I counted 40+ birds in their lawn every morning. Never had one in m y yard.

****What do the birds prefer? Classic jazz? Hip hop? Country? Chamber mu sic?

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

the

Thanks a lot for that info, David. I contacted them just now and will post what they say about types of grass for this area in sun & shade, and how much they charge for soil testing.

Reply to
Guv Bob