What's this grassy weed in my lawn? (Photo link)

Over the past two or three years some patches of fast growing "grassy weeds" have shown up here and there on my lawns. After mowing, this stuff seems to grow two or three times as fast as the turf grasses, and sticks up noticable in a couple of days.

Photos at:

'm hoping there's a selective herbicide to let me rid my lawns of this stuff, which seems to be popping up in more places each year.

Thanks guys,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

It's nutsedge, I didn't catch where you live.

Reply to
Steveo

I meant to mention that, and forgot. I't Red Sox country (A Boston suburb.)

Thanks, I checked out butsedge and that's sure a match.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Dood, be careful with 'butsedge' it's a back biter! ;p

There are control products for it but they can damage your turf if you mis-use them.

It will die back on its own real soon in bean town.

Reply to
Steveo

Dern wide fingers of mine! (Or maybe the "b" key is too close to the "n")

I think that's a wise suggestion, only it keeps getting worse each year.

Thanx again,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

You can email me for better details in chemical control if you want to. (remove -nospam-)

Reply to
Steveo

I've read that a product called "manage" is good for nutsedge.

Lynn

Reply to
LFR

Sure looks like nutsedge. Manage is probably most effective to eliminate it, Basagran also works, but may take a couple applications. Nutsedge only grows when it's hot and there is a lot of water present. Are you overwatering?

Reply to
Chet Hayes

So THAT'S what is causing it (I have an abundance of nutsedge, also). Mother Nature has given us a lot of rain this year.

I guess I should pray for a drought!!!

:-)

Reply to
LFR