Re: Why does everyone p**s all over Purple Loosestrife?

Page 2 of 2
On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 10:00:59 -0400, "Mary Ellen & Chris Magoc"

As I understand it (and this may well be myth). grass lawns were first established in Europe to demonstrate the property owner was wealthy enough to keep land out of productive agricultural use. Of course, this is also true of flower gardens and other formal plantings. Lawns are like neckties for men. No earthly use, but a sign of respectability. :-) With recent droughts, it has become more noticable that maintaining lawn grass uses a *lot* of water. While there may be native grasses of some areas (Bermuda?) that are low-growing, no maintenance groundcovers, my mental picture of native 'grassy plains' is one with knee-to-armpit high dryish vegetation -- rather unsuitable for suburban landscape. And a fire hazard.
Providing "habitat" for native wildlife is lovely when the wildlife is birds and butterflies; less so when surburban plantings encourage snakes (which I happen to like in *small* doses), raccoons, skunks, squirrels, rabbits, rats, etc., etc.
That is, these issues rarely can be reduced to good/bad, Us vs. Them absolutes.
While I really hate lawns and have been trying to eliminate ours inch by inch (it is an issue between me and my S.O. which is the only reason I'm going that slow), they do have a purpose when you have children that enjoy any kind of yard play (soccer, baseball, football, cartwheels, etc.). The only reason that I don't let mine grow wild and be taken over by wild flowers is respect for the neighbors but I sure do hope that someday people come to their senses and create housing developments that have a "green" for the children to play on and everyone else uses their land for gardens that produce food and beauty. DK

thousands
excess
weeds
and
have to

also
first
wealthy
Lawns
native
vegetation --

wildlife is

skunks,
Them

No it sounds like a reasonable COMMUNITY solution to a problem of perceived over use of water hogging fertilizer and pesticide intensive lawn grass. If the COMMUNITY decides to go with the commons idea then no one is imposing their will on the majority since the group governing the place makes the decision. Watch that knee jerking, might hurt yourself. Dave Fouchey, WA4EMR http://photos.yahoo.com/davefouchey Southeastern Lower Michigan 42 35' 20'' N, 82 58' 37'' W GMT Offset: -5 Time Zone: Eastern
Does this mean that you also object to community basketball courts, pools, tennis courts, etc.?
They are making some really beautiful suburban communities now where you can walk to the public transportation, neighborhood stores, etc. with old time common grounds and buildings for the community to function without having to drive for absolutely every want and need. Note I said community not suburban parking lots with places to keep your car while you sleep.
DK

hundred
from
colorful