Re: Pumpkin Volunteers

We had a couple volunteers last year we watered from time to time and ended up with a good 12 pumpkins about a foot in diameter.... We haven't had quite the same luck this year, I have had vines grow but as soon as a bloom opens the squirrels eat them.... I happen to feed pumpkin seeds to the squirrels and that's where they come from here. Not really an answer for you but they seemed to not mind being just left alone to do their thing here and we were in drought conditions last year.

Colleen zone 5 CT

Reply to
GrampysGurl

Squash, cucs, beans, must not be planted too early or too cold. The trick is to always start them inside in a dish in a towel (wash cloth) this does two things; the seed is started at a proper temperature, the seed is germinated(eliminating the ones that are dead) .Find a place in the garder/tub/flower bed.(several strange places for pumpkins where they won't be in the way) Then assume that you don't have the skill and / or time to water it properly and but a cheep, battery powered watering timer. (and squirty and pipe to make it work) Until it gets its forth leaf - NEVER let the soil get dry.(Make sure its well drained or the roots will die ) After its very definitely growing well ,change to a soaker and/or drip system (on the timer) -- if you've planted too early it will simply refuse to grow and look unhealthy - if so start another seed and for a period of many weeks keep planting one seed each week (learn to cull out the ones that are not perfect). You will learn two things: one the feel of getting it to start and then , two will the climate allow the seed to prosper.It may take several years, but you will finally enjoy your gardening.

David

. I have never been able to grow things from seed.

Reply to
David L Crawford