Re: New Anti-vole Weapon!

Shiva wrote:

Hmmm. Wrong article, but I swear I saw the one I was referring to in today's gardening section, hardcopy. (For those of you who missed it, I have lost many beloved plants, esp. roses, to voles this year, and in the past three years.)
Here is the New Weapon:
Black ratsnakes! One guy who had tried the sonic things, the traps, the chicken wire, the Permatil and the Rozol ordered a couple pair of black rat snakes and they wiped out his vole infestation!
Here is the scenario: very woodsy, mulchy yards, about half an acre, in the city of Raleigh, NC but this city is very green and lush. We have bats, owls, hawks, and some stray cats, but not many of the latter due to a leash law and lots of animal lovers. (In other words, we keep them inside and safe.) We have lots of little brown snakes in the yards, and tons of bugs.
If you all think this might work, how might I get some of these snakes? I love reptiles and have kept snakes and lizards and frogs and salamanders and toads as pets. You herp folks, how old should the snakes be before I let them live in the yard? Do I need to get wild ones, or could those born in captivity adapt? TIA!
--------------070601010802080600000205 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
I read the article as well! My question is, if you adopt a snake, how do you keep it in your yard? How likely is it that a snake will hang around my natural area and not scurry off as soon as it is released? I suppose if the snake realizes there is food close by he should be attracted to the area, but who knows, maybe it would be so shocked at the release, it's only concern might be to bolt.
Heidi
Shiva wrote:

--------------070601010802080600000205 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://newsobserver.com/features/home/story/2763679p-2561854c.html ">http://newsobserver.com/features/home/story/2763679p-2561854c.html </a>
[...]
Shiva,
The article about adopting snakes to deal with voles was in Saturday's News & Observer (Raleigh, NC) but it was actually from the Daily Press in Hampton Roads, VA.
I found the Daily Press website http://www.dailypress.com /, but I wasn't able to access that article.
Anne Lurie Raleigh, NC