Re: @#*%)^@ Cats!

Page 2 of 4

correct in the assessment that taxes/fees/fines do raise revenues for a local governing bodies. I question whether a license for cats or a fine for non-compliance can generate significant revenue, but it might make irresponsible cat owners (I use that term with tongue in cheek!) aware that it might make a dent in their pockets when they allow their animals roam in an area where they irk neighbors. Cats are cats and we didn't allow our pets the freedom of running loose because we cherished them. We still miss the last one who died of natural causes at the age of eighteen but feel that our protection made it possible for her long life.
Now let's talk about the difference in speed limits in certain states and in small towns. Iowa cashes in on their reduced speed limit between Missouri and Minnesota, particularly if you travel through that state at the end of the month. :(
John
We've a pal visiting from Idaho and though we have a spare futon and plenty of room in the house, she suddenly insisted on camping out in the garden cuz she thought it was like a tiny park. It was fun and funny to see her little puptent and bedding out there. She said the birds weren't afraid of her and gathered around her at dawn. Now my sweety Granny Artemis is saying we should sleep out there too. No! Don't make me! I like my bed!
-paghat the ratgirl
from snipped-for-privacy@netscapeSPAM-ME-NOT.net (paghat) contains these words:

Do try it..preferably without a tent, just under the sky on a dry starry night. It's magic, one of life's great unsung delights, not to be missed.
Now that I'm middle aged I find my old down sleeping bag restrictive and a bit claustrophobic, which is passing strange, because in our heyday I could comfortably share it :-). So just improvise with household stuff. Good ground insulation underneath (plastic sheet under folded duvet), then loose blanket or duvet on top of you, and your usual pillows, are softee camping but ensure comfort and sleep.
Janet.
I hate to think what would happen here, we have Foxes and badgers as well as a couple of feral cats prowling the place at night. Don't like the idea of providing a snack for them.
--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

I was thinking about being eaten alive by fire ants.
words:

Nah, why would they attack something larger than themselves?
I once found a live frog in my sleeping bag, which was pretty horrible and evinced mighty screams until I realised that's all it was; and more recently a dead rabbit under my kip in the morning. It certainly wasn't there at bedtime so possibly it snuggled up in the night, mistaking me for St. Francis, and I rolled on the poor little bugger in my sleep and suffocated it.
Janet.

I used to camp out a lot when I was doing herpetological studies and it was very rough camping since we couldn't pack much into the off-the-trail places we investigated. But in my old age I don't care for it, and my last couple camp-outs were wussy ones with even electrical hookups. As it turns out, if we'd slept out in the garden last night as Granny Artemis wanted, we'd've gotten caught in a rain storm, which I quite loved listening to from our bedroom, happy the garden was being blessed by a hard rain & that I was not sleeping out in it. It might have been fun to actually catch and frighten the racoon, though, who visited again last night, knocked over the statue in the fountain, and dug up some fragile epimediums.
But I remember one camp-out long ago when in the middle of the night I was awakened by a very loud THUMP right at the side of my head. I opened my eyes and was staring into the enormous eyes of a flying squirrel. It panted and gazed at me motionlessly, until I rather expected it might let me touch it, though of course when my shoulder moved it took off up a tree. It was a marvelous little encounter. If it had landed eight inches closer it would've been smack dab on my face.
Before our visitor left us yesterday, we went for a woodland walk, and came around a corner to find ourselves within five or six feet of a deer, some of which are semi-tame around here. Even though our visitor's farm in southern Idaho is on the route of a large band of elk, such random encounters with wildlife are still nothing she's jaded by, and she was quite as thrilled as was I. We stood as still as we could, and the deer nonchallantly left the path, heading toward the sound of a second deer we couldn't see but which was certainly not making any effort to be quiet. So while I may have missed out on a chance to have the racoon climb over my sleeping bag on its way to our tiny pond last night, I'm not feeling all that deprived of wildlife encounters.
-paghat the ratgirl
We'd have to sleep out under the stars, drenched in bug spray. The mosquitos here this year are huge, vicious, & very numerous. I think I'll sleep inside, thanks. Don't want to chance West Nile virus anymore than necessary.
Minteeleaf
On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 23:36:21 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@gtf.org wrote:

I've had cats all my life. Not once did they miss being outside. They lived long lives, happily indoors. It is human emotions, not cat requirements which cause this to a happen. My neighbor felt that way and another neighbor trapped her manx and dumped him far from home. He admitted doing it, and he wouldn't tell them where Symba was. I would rather die than have a pet be dumped to die.

I brought my cats outdoors occasionally. They were never unsupervised and never out of my sight.

I'm sure they can live happy lives indoors. I'm just saying it would improve quality to be able to go outdoors and explore. But it will shorten quantity.. For me it's a what ist he best compromise (not everyone is going to have teh same dangers or as much danger where they live outside). I have one cat thta's perfectly fine indoors. I'm sure she'd enjoy outdoors but she is fine indoors and hasn't show interest (I'm sure she'd finally go out and decide she likes it if I left the door open and went elsewhere, but I'd rather not introduce her to something she won't miss if she never experiences).
I have another cat who has never been let outdoors (unsupervised, every now and then I'll go out with him a few minutes then pull him back in) and from when I got him he wanted out. I'm pretty sure he was an outdoor/indoor cat before. He still misses it even 2 years later and me only letting him otu in my apartment hallway (but not all that often).
All I'm saying is that I do think it would improve quality but that they can live happy lives indoors also.
Alice
--
The root cause of problems is simple overpopulation. People just aren't
worth very much any more, and they know it. Makes 'em testy. ...Bev

And what is your substantiated opinion?
Alice
--
The root cause of problems is simple overpopulation. People just aren't
worth very much any more, and they know it. Makes 'em testy. ...Bev

Oh my yes! On average they live much, much longer than outdoor cats with a pretty good chance of having real quality of life in the later years - pretty darn good life actually! Our kitty is scared to even venture near the door and in her 16th year (hold on, doing math...) 15th.... she has awesome health and spends all of her time in my oldest son's room looking out the window, facing off between the glass with the gerbil and playing with her toys. Once cats hit that "geriatric" or "senior" age at 7-8 years old the difference in the outdoor vs. indor cats in our practice is quite obvious.
But in any case - ain't cats grand? We have a Pity Kitty hanging around our desks these days who was brought in by a good samaritan with about 3/4 of her right side burned, we think by a car engine. She's the best. The good ones always find you!
-Sharon
Once cats hit that "geriatric" or "senior" age at 7-8 years old the

....vet practice i assume??...i was married to one for about 100 years....so know only too well the price outdoor cats pay for their freedom...

......yes i am a real cat lover....i have two - both rescued from shelters....a himalayan brought home as an adult and a calico adopted as a kitten....they are great fun and good company....
We have a Pity Kitty hanging around our

...thats true...i think they have a list they circulate among themselves of the 'will show no resistance' humans on the planet....!!
murphy

......oh!....so thats what the "s" is..LOL!!
murphy

...whooopse!....must not be a cat person....<G>...
murphy
Dear Cats:
When I say to move, it means go someplace else, not switch positions with one another so there are still three cats in the way.
The dishes with the paw print are yours and contain your food. The other dishes are mine and contain my food. Please note, placing a paw print in the middle of my plate and food does not stake a claim for it becoming your food and dish, nor do I find that aesthetically pleasing in the slightest.
The hallway was not designed by Nascar and is not a racetrack. Beating me to the end of the hall is not the object. Tripping me doesn't help, because I fall faster than you can run.
I cannot buy anything bigger than a king size bed. I am very sorry about this. Do not think I will continue to sleep on the couch to ensure your comfort. Look at videos of cats sleeping; they can actually curl up in a ball. It is not necessary to sleep perpendicular to one another stretched out to the fullest extent possible. I also know that sticking tails straight out and having tongues hanging out the other end to maximize space used is nothing but kitty sarcasm.
My phone cord is not black licorice.
For the last time, there is not a secret exit from the bathroom. If by some miracle I beat you there and manage to get the door shut, it is not necessary to claw, whine, try to turn the knob, or get your paw under the edge and try to pull the door open. I must exit through the same door I entered. In addition, I have been using bathrooms for years; feline attendance is not mandatory.
The proper order is kiss me, then go smell the other cat's butt. I cannot stress this enough. It would be such a simple change for you.
The bathroom sink is for washing hands and was not meant to be your personal water fountain. I'm tired of being summoned to the bathroom when you are ready for a drink. The bowl of water in the kitchen is not contaminated and has no floaters! So from now on you will drink from there... I put fresh water in daily! Rules for non pet owners who visit and like to complain about our pets.
1. The cats live here. You don't.
2. If you don't want cat hair on your clothes, stay off the furniture.
3. I like my cats a lot better than I like most people.
4. To you, he's a cat. To me, he's an adopted son who is short, hairy, walks on all fours and doesn't speak clearly.
5. **cats are better than kids. They eat less, don't ask for money all the time, are easier to train, sometimes come when called, never drive your car, don't hang out with drug-using friends, don't smoke or drink, don't worry about buying the latest fashions, don't wear your clothes, don't need a gazillion dollars for college, and if they get pregnant, the kittens make wonderful gifts.
wrote on 8/10/03 7:42 AM:

You poor, pathetic misanthropes! Get a life!! Fred

.thanks for this....delightful!!
murphy
10 elo 2003 Mrs. Fricker kirjoitti:

*Bzzzzt* Anything living is NOT a good gift.
--
Jari Vuoksenranta

"170 226 2245 3042 400"

You're advocating killing them first?