Re: @#*%)^@ Cats!

Page 1 of 4
We had a "neighborhood" cat that died of old age last fall. Over the winter, the voles decimated my crocus plantings and damaged a lot of other things. This spring, I've had a plague of rabbits. I've now noted that a new cat has started taking over the "territory", and have decided that I'll gladly put up with the occasional cat scat in return for rodent control.
Sue, who is bribing the resident groundhow with cantaloupe rinds. snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net Zone 6, Southcentral PA

downpour
wet
into
Obviously, your problem is that you haven't been getting enough pussy!!!
Either you should stop sleeping in your garden or keep your windows closed so that cats can't shit in your bed. You paint a really strange picture.
A Tesla ray gun? You're really trippin', dude.

downpour
wet
into

Thorns....lots of dry, dead. sharp thorns. Find some blackberry bushes and get some dead ones (and some berries too while you're at it :) They're almost in season up here).
Dan
John DeBoo wrote:

> exact problem. They have promised to stay in my garden only, from > now on.

...and don't forget their FISH and BIRDS too!
Did you ever stop and think that a Cat is not a Dog? You can't just leash a cat into your yard like a dog. Just because something works for a dog doesn't mean it applies to other animals.
I assume that you sit on your porch at night with a shotgun shooting at rabbits and frogs just in case they get in your flowerbed as well?

trap
them

Yes, you damn well can!!!!!!! Plenty of people do!
"Cat, the new white meat"
Graham
For some inexplicable reasons, snipped-for-privacy@netscapeSPAM-ME-NOT.net (paghat) wrote:
: Second because cats on leashes frequently hang :themselves on trees and fences.
Why don't the people on the other end of the leashes notice that the cat has hung itself on a tree or a fence? They can't be more than 6 to 12 feet away.
--
Wendy Chatley Green
snipped-for-privacy@cris.com

Gee, this doesn't happen to dogs. And how does a cat hang itself when the owner has the other end of the leash in their hand? How bizarre...
Dogs should be leashed. Cats should be leashed. In fact, no pet, regardless of species, should wander around unsupervised, be it a dog, a horse, a cat, or a ferret. They should be on their owner's property or under their control at all times. It's a pet. Take care of it. Your neighbors shouldn't have to deal with the nuisance. It's not their animal.
------------------------------------------------- ~kaeli~ Black holes were created when God divided by 0. Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious. http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace -------------------------------------------------
enlightened us with...

not also

majority
has "pop

it is

destroyed.
when
bizarre...
Are you really that stupid?
When you let your dog into the back yard to dump, there is (should be) a fence to keep them in. This doesn't work with cats, so all you can do (according to the cat haters) is leash them to a tree/post so they don't get out of the yard.
Cats are OUTDOOR animals. If you want an indoor animal, get a fish.

dog, a

all
I assume you roam the neighbourhoods making sure that the wildlife is the only thing on the streets? Foxes and skunks aren't a problem at all. It's just the pets, eh?

Very well summed up. Humans just hate to share "their"(?) space.
Elaine
snipped-for-privacy@netscapeSPAM-ME-NOT.net (paghat) wrote in message

Not in San Jose, as of last March. I lived there three years and never had any law enforcement agent do anything about the 10 or 12 rogue cats in our neighborhood.

I agree that a cat should not ever be collar4ed, break-away or not.

My point was, break-away collars injure and kill cats as well.

If the cat is microchipped, this sin't an issue.

http://www.catfencein.com /
It does a damn good job of keeping my cats in the yard, and other cats out. I have cats and when they go outside, I go with them. They are not allowed to go outside my fenced property. I expect my neighbors to do the same.

The law does not require tethering a cat and leaving it unattended.
besides, leashing and tethering are separate acts. I walked my cats on leashes prior to living in Oregon because I didn't have suitable places to allow them to roam - they jumped the fence, and since we didn't own the home, I couldn't install the barriers.

A fence will hold a cat, especially if the owner is present to make sure the cat doesn't foil the barrier.

That's ridiculous. The issue is you want to allow cats outside *unattended*. Ok. I have given you a system that works for me (and other people I know) - a 6 ft. cedar fence with a CAT BARRIER. I still don't trust my cats outside unattended because I fear they will escape although they have not to date. You have to accept responsibility for your pet. Allowing it to roam is not responsible, and YES society has the right to make you responsible for the actions of your companion animals.

Like I said, I don't believe in collaring cats.

Yes, but how many of those are a threat to public health? The only disease that is considered worthy of warning by the CDC is toxoplasmosis.

If it (or other zoonotic diseases) was a threat to public health, there would be an aggressive campaign to eradicate the disease in cats and humans, or at least, warnings would be disseminated as they are for toxo. Those programs simply do not exist because the threat from the disease is small.
<snip>

Which are "severe and life threatening" AND pose a threat to public health in the US?

People who let their cats roam do way more to fuel the fires of the cat-haters of the world than any perceived threat to public health.

Good, as it should be.

You haven't worked in rescue much, have you?

good. Identifying the "owners" of problem cats takes the blame off of use who abide by the law.

If a cat is turned into the proper authority, they have an obligation to keep the cat under standard conditions until it is claimed, rehomed, or destroyed.

Seems to me that people who let their cats roam wantonly are the ones who are unconcerned for the safety of their animals...

Or humans

I didn't say they "easily become lost". I said if they were to become lost. A microchip is the only safe way to identify a cat - not collars with tags, which you yourself admit is undesirable for good reason.
I worked for a feline specialty veterinarian and cannot tell you how many times people "found a new stray" in their neighborhood, and brought it in to us for care. Our policy was to scan it for microchip, and if one was found, the registry was contacted and the cat reunited with the original owner. Microchipping works. I'm damn glad my cats are microchipped. If you let your cat roam and have irate neighbors, they might just pick up your friendly kitty and drop him off in another neighborhood, or another town. The only way you are going to get your cat back is if it is microchipped.

Sorry, but having worked in the rescue arena for over 15 years, I can tell you that not all animal control people are heartless witches. Most want nothing more than to help reunite animals with their owners. Nobody likes to euthanize an animal.

Cats aren't wildlife.

Not where I live.

Domestic animals are not a problem if they are well cared-for by their responsible "owners". You cannot *pretend* to take responsibility for the life of another living creature, and then shirk all of that responsibility.

Oh, please. Now you are being melodramatic.
Cats and dogs are not wild animals. You cannot expect them to be given the same protection under the law. They are part of an artificial system which HUMANS created, and HUMANS have to be responsible for them.
-L.

Well, I'd say quantity, quality I'd not say that. There's just so much to see and explore outside where indoors everything is the same most the time.
That being said, I think my cats live happy lives indoors though one would really love to go outdoors. He finds thingsthat make him happy though.
Alice
--
The root cause of problems is simple overpopulation. People just aren't
worth very much any more, and they know it. Makes 'em testy. ...Bev

I suspect cats who've never been outdoors are totally happy with their restrained way of life. But I've seen cats that once had an outdoors but later ended up apartment cats, andtheir longing looks outside, and their recurring attempts to make a break for the outside when the door opens, makes it fairly obvious they're dissatisfied.
My sadness in seeing the cat leash laws spreading like wildfire is that cats were the one wild animal that we domesticated without pens, cages, or ropes. After a few thousand years of ranging around our homes and always returning to us, now outside forces (OUR OWN overpopulation and increasingly crowded conditions) impose decreasing liberty on an animal that in no way requires these restrictions for themselves or for their keepers to be happy with them. It is largely people who either dislike all cats, or at least dislike cats other than their own, who have decided all cats must be imprisoned or leashed, making even so little as lounging on the public sidewalk in front of their own homes punishable under law.
But as I said, I'm old enough I remember when chickens and dogs ran loose in the neighborhood, with few or no repurcussions. Being forced to imprison our cats is just one more free choice whittled away from us. The day will come when anyone who refuses to pay the Air Tax will be arrested and placed in the suffocation tank, with our heirs still responsible for the cremation costs & ash disposal tax. Nothing we take for granted, not even the freedom to breathe, is off bounds for restriction & taxation.
-paghat the ratgirl

True. My Isis kitty's only interest in the outdoors is, "Why is she going into that scarey place?" But she has no interest in going out there. Isis has never been outdoors except when moving or going to the vet.
Gambit, who I suspect was an indoor/outdoor cat before I got him is constantly trying to get out. He did go through a period where he didn't show interest, but he's back to, "ooooh,open door, I want to sneak through."
Alice
--
The root cause of problems is simple overpopulation. People just aren't
worth very much any more, and they know it. Makes 'em testy. ...Bev
In composed with style:

Domesticated cats are very far removed from their wild ancestors no matter what any one thinks to the contrary.
I've had indoor/outdoor cats adapt very quickly and seemingly never look back. I've had strays, now a feral, and two that could go outdoors move with me to where they couldn't go out and adapted just fine. Meow at the door at certain times of the year (they probably sense Spring when the windows get opened for the first time in months) but they have lots to do, plenty of stimuli and each other for company.
snipped-for-privacy@netscapeSPAM-ME-NOT.net (paghat) wrote in message wrote:

In North America? No. Lynx are the only native feline, and those are not domesticated. Common Felis domesticus is an import species - one that was imported *as a pet*.

Just because you don't care if your cat sprays on the front door of your neighbor's porch in 100 weather doesn't mean that it is right to allow your cat to do so. Many cat owners would agree that it's not fair to those HUMANS with whom they have to share the neighborhood, to allow their domesticated animal to destroy what doesn't belong to them. If you think that's ok, you have serious lessons to learn about getting along with others, or you need to live on an isolated parcel of land where you can allow your animals to run free. Living in a community comes with compromise.

Wrong again. Include responsible cat owners in that category. I like my neighbors cats, but I simply should not have to put up with the destruction of *my* property, not to mention the medical compromization and terrorization of my own companion animals *on my property*. Sorry, but I did not work for 15 years and invest heavily in order to retire and purchase my dream home, only to have to spend much of that time cleaning up after someone else's pet. I have plenty of companion animals of my own to clean up after, TYVM. Cleaning cat spray off my front door is the last thing I want on my agenda at 7AM every Saturday moring, and unless the owner of the cat wants to stop it, I will, which I have every right to do, legally AND morally.

Here we go with the mellodrama again.
Take resposnsibility for your "pets" and you won't have laws being enacted to make YOU do so.
-L.

Dunno if my first post posted, but mountain lion, cougar, "FL panther" and puma are the same species - I think FL panther is a subspecies. Lynx and Bobcat are the same species - Lynx rufus.
When I said "North America" I should have said US, and yes, I forgot about the Cougar.
-L.
On 8/6/2003 5:22 PM, -L. wrote:

Lynx canadensis - Canadian Lynx are also found in the US not just Canada.
Marty

Sabortooth TIger is the official state cat of California. No kiddin'.
-paghat the ratgirl

Removing feral cats from the environment is a good thing, but has extremely little to do with the growing movement for more taxation, liscensing fees, fines that are the real inspiration for the new leash laws for cats in America. The purpose of these regulations and fees and fines is first and foremost to raise revenues for the government. They are secondarily to restrict your pet to your house or yard. Whatever effect these leash laws may have on feral populations in America is merely incidental. Plus American feral cats tend to live in cities where displacing "natural" wildlife is not very consequential unless you mean the threat posed for pigeons and rats.
-paghat the ratgirl