Quick Growing Ground Cover

I live in Cincinnati Ohio and my front lawn is mostly shady and not worth doing anything fancy with. What I would like to do is plant a fast growing ground cover (something that I could plant now and establish before the winter begins) that does not require a lot of attention. I would prefer to plant something other than ground ivy. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

JD

Reply to
DaileyJohn.20.decij

Red Fescue

Reply to
Phisherman

I am about to put a combination of Dutch White Clover and Strawberry Clover in my blueberry patch. No mowing and the bees will love it.

John

Reply to
John Bachman

I know alot of people who love creeping Juniper varieties but the amount of shade in your yard may not be ideal.

-- Tara

Reply to
scfundogs

Hi. I'm a Master Gardener in Columbus, Ohio and I cannot think of any ground cover that would be suitable for shade. I'm assuming you want it to look like something other than a vacant lot in the winter, right? Clover isn't going to work because it needs a lot of sun. I might suggest planting some shade-tolerant low-growing evergreens around the lawn, with something like sweet woodruff plugs in between. It still wouldn't look so great in the winter, though. Have you thought of mulch?

Please don't get ivy. It wouldn't grow very well in a deeply shady condition and it's a foreign invader that provides very little in the way of shelter or food for the wildlife. And your neighbors won't thank you when it worms its way onto their lawns!

I hope that's some help.

Sparky Organic

Reply to
Sparky Organic

You might investigate Ajuga and Lamium .

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Ajuga Once you got it you got it.