Question about tomatoes

Page 1 of 2
My tomato plants are four feet tall and are laden with full market size green tomatoes. Seem to me that some should begin to ripen but they continue to stay green. In fact it seems that they have been that way for almost a month. When may i expect to see some ripe tomatoes? BTW I'm in the north Atlanta area. Thanks, Johnny raised-garden-bed.com

are they getting enough sun? try picking one or two now, and sit them in the sun, outside or inside. they should turn in a couple of days, depending on variety. or you could get your fill of fried green maters! lol
rae

Okay, I can't stand it. What do fried green tomatoes taste like?

just slice in round slices, batter, & fry..........folks 'round here love them.
On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 01:18:43 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior

They taste....wonderful! A little tart, with spicy overtones.
Just like Rae says....a bit of batter (we just dredge with flour, whatever coating you prefer, I feel too much batter or coating detracts from the flavor), and fry 'em. We prefer ours sliced about 3/8, so's they get crispy on the outside and tender on the in.
The more green they are, the more tart they will be. Some like them seasoned with things like Emeril's essence, we prefer S & P only.
Seriously, do some.......they are freakin' awsome.
It's also a great way to use the pre-frost greenies.
Charlie
wonderful. I asked online for green tomatoes and had a bushel full last fall. I started with batter (tempura batter is excellent), then did dredge in amaranth flour, finally I just zapped em in the microwave when I got tired of all the grease. they are great side dish. they DO need to be salted for maximum flavor. Ingrid
On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 01:18:43 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior

Patience. It sounds as if the plants have their hands full. But if they have gotten this far, they will complete the journey. They know what they are doing. Relax.
--
Billy

Good advice.
So often we forget to be human-beings in our haste to be human-doings.
Wax on. Wax off.
Should only be a few days and we'll be enjoying the first haricots verts. Same for the zuchinni. Cukes aren't far off.
Charlie

Do you know, off the top of your head or do I have to look it up, if green beans need to be replanted to maintain production during the season? One end of my row (1/3) is cranking. Beans every other day. the other end has just set flowers and the middle s still growing. No, not all planted at the same time.
I await you Delphic pronouncement.
--
Billy
Charlie wrote:

buttin' in.......
i've never had to replant my green beans before. What I've grown usually keeps re-producing all season,
buttin' out now, Rae

Butt right ahead gentle lady.
I'm happy to read that I won't have to replace the plants.
My main worry right now is that I'm going to burn out on green beans. The recipe that I use for green beans can be used with carrots, mushrooms, parsnips, and peas. But I need to find another variation so that I don't lose interest in green beans since I seem to have brought in a gusher of green beans.
--
Billy

Green Beans Almondine....simple, delicious, a favorite 'round here.
Charlie

Whaaaaat? I gotta look it up? Come on already.
--
Billy

Whatta freekin' weiner.......here.
http://www.greenbeansnmore.com/recipe-g.html
I do the lemon routine, sometimes with a bit of dry white.
Charlie

A commercial web site. I was hoping for a Chalies mother-in-law recipe.
--
Billy

Fine.....I was tired and didn't feel like typing.....here's the deal we do......certainly not my M-I-L's
About a pound of young beans 1/4 C unsalted butter 1/2 C sliced unblanched almonds 1/4 C chopped shallots or green onions 1/4 C water 1 lemon wedge, or to taste S & P
Steam the beans until bright
Melt the butter and continue cooking slowly until the solids lightly carmelize (like you were making ghee) Add the sliced almonds and shallots or green onions. Saute' until almonds are lightly browned. Add beans and water, cook over high heat until beans are hot and the sauce coats the beans.
Squeeze lemon over beans and S & P to taste.
We have substituted pine nuts for the almonds and like it well.
Is that better?
CHarlie

The freekin' weiner thanks you;-)
--
Billy

I've been doing that one for ages. My version is simple:
Nuke the cut-up green beans in the micro, covered, with a TBSP or two of water. Saves all the nutrients that would get lost in boiling water.
Meantime, grind TAMARI almonds in the Cuisinart, not too fine.
Sauter the almonds in butter. When toasty but not burned, add the cooked beans, mix well, salt to taste. Consume!
The soy sauce flavor of the Tamari almonds makes all the diff.
Persephone

Thanks.
--
Billy
Charlie wrote:

ok, just to make sure we are completely on the same page............
your green beans are what us country folk call "string beans" right? or are you refering to lima beans as green beans.
I assumed the "string beans" in my first post, but i grow and cook both. clarify my mind and we can possibly move onto recipes.........