Pruning Clematis Tips

How do I know how or when to prune my clematis? The clematis plant I have has a bright purple flower and last season it bloomed beautiful but it only grew halfway up the trellis. I was not sure if this was because I never pruned it. I am also worried it won't survive in the pot I planted it in. Does it need to be in the ground? Thanks.
If yours is a vine form - If you were to prune it, I would think proper pollarding may be something to consider.
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning/index.html