How to make a clematis climb

I bought a mature Clematis that is growing about 40 cm on a cane in a pot. I would like to train it to grow on a trellis, how do I do this now? shall I remove the plant from the cane on the pot or shall I attach the cane to the trellis? please help

Reply to
laurap74

if the trellis is within a few inches of the vine as it grows it will find it. time lapse photography of this process is fun to watch.

once in a while a strong wind may blow bits of it off, so we lift them back towards the trellis and they wind around again.

songbird

Reply to
songbird