Pruning Clematis Tips

How do I know how or when to prune my clematis? The clematis plant I have has a bright purple flower and last season it bloomed beautiful but it only grew halfway up the trellis. I was not sure if this was because I never pruned it. I am also worried it won't survive in the pot I planted it in. Does it need to be in the ground? Thanks.

Reply to
Va Mom

If yours is a vine form - If you were to prune it, I would think proper pollarding may be something to consider.

John A. Keslick, Jr. Arborist
Beware of so-called tree experts who do not understand tree biology. Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding us that we are not the boss.

Reply to
symplastless