Proper way to mow

Page 2 of 2
snipped-for-privacy@scnresearch.com>:

fire will make it grow FASTER when it comes back up
swarf, steam and wind
-- David Forsyth -:- the email address is real /"\ http://terrapin.ru.ac.za/~iwdf/welcome.html \ / ASCII Ribbon campaign against HTML E-Mail > - - - - - - -> X If you receive email saying "Send this to everyone you know," / \ PLEASE pretend you don't know me.
DejaVU wrote:

Depends on the plants, the season, and how hot the fire is.
On 14 Apr 2004 08:19:50 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Don) wrote:

Every grass variety has an optimum cutting height, so I can't just reel off a number. But whatever grass variety you have, choose a cutting height at the top of the range for that grass. This will make the grass more drought resistant, reduce the need for fertilizer, chokes out weeds, etc.
Cutting taller will also reduce the cutting frequency required since a grass that isn't overcut won't have to grow as fast to get enough green blade area in sunlight to survive. Don't over-fertilize and don't over-water. Both will cause excessively rapid growth, and will promote poor root systems.

To convert a regular deck to a mulching deck, you have to block the discharge chute. An old license plate will do if you don't have the proper block off plate. Note that if the deck isn't designed to be used as a mulcher, there may be some clogging problems, but it is worth a shot. Every pound of grass clippings you remove from the lawn requires you to replace those nutrients in another way.
Gary
I think the real key to grass care is keeping your blades razor sharp! I sharpen the blade every three or four cuts and the mulching lawnmower works best that way. For your size lawn, how about one of those solar powered robotic mowers that cuts all the time the sun is out.
--
<<< There are only 10 kinds of people...Those that understand binary and
those that don't. >>>
||I think the real key to grass care is keeping your blades razor sharp! I ||sharpen the blade every three or four cuts and the mulching lawnmower works ||best that way. For your size lawn, how about one of those solar powered ||robotic mowers that cuts all the time the sun is out.
I like those things! Check out the Husquvarna robotic on their website. Rex in Fort Worth
Mulching blades have to be kept sharp. Most folks don't sharpen any mower blade often enough. Do not block the dishcarge. Set blade height at 2.5" mow before it reaches 3.5"
Don writes:

Boustrophedonically.
Richard J Kinch wrote:

Just hitch a yoke of oxen to the mower. They'll know what to do.
Dale Scroggins

Ken.
On 14 Apr 2004 08:19:50 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Don) wrote:

When mulching mow in a counterclockwise direction.
When bagging mow clockwise. This will leave the least amount of clippings on the lawn.
On 14 Apr 2004 08:19:50 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Don) wrote:

And why would you cross post this topic to the metal working forum? Or I assume the part about you making a plate is sufficient to qualify it for a post in the metals forum, since evidently you would probably make the plate out of metal! Visit my website: http://www.frugalmachinist.com Opinions expressed are those of my wifes, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.
On 14 Apr 2004 08:19:50 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Don) wrote:

3" is the recommended length to cut the lawn to. Shorter is damaging to most grasses.
Make a pass or two one way, then do the rest the other way. Bag the first couple passes .. sounds like you're not bagging/collecting the grass.. such a shame, what a compost pile you could have ;-)
If you want to mulch, then you gotta cut more frequently, and at that 3" height, shouldn't be cutting off more than 1/4 to 1/2 inch I'd think if you truly want it to mulch, and have the cut off grass fall to the ground between the grass blades decompose and feed the lawn. Otherwise, you're just makin' thatch that will eventually kill off some of the grass and leave openings for weed seed to grow.
Mow a bit each night instead of a big mow once a week.. or hire someone else to do it if you don't have time.
Reduce your lawn area through landscaping. I'd imagine if you don't have time to mow, you don't have time to vegetable garden.. although that would give you a place to use grass clippings that aren't contaminated with herbicides.
Janice
you should be blowing the clipping where you have not mowed this gives them a shot to get cut again you should basically mow in a spiral from the outside in!
Wayne
(Don) wrote:

You should only take off 1/3 of the height of the blade of grass.
(Don) wrote:

Fisher Price wrote:

(I can just see some poor sucker laying there, measuring each blade, and calculating 1/3.)
The guideline is not to cut more than 1/3 of the grass blade at any mowing. Do not mow grass when it is wet. A mulching mower is supposed to be like a blender that chops grass blades into small pieces. It is better to alternate mowing patterns to avoid lines, ruts, and improve evenness. I would not alter the deck configuration, but follow advisements in the owner's manual.