Propagation Odds?

Just curious. When you folks set out to propagate a plant from greenwood cuttings, what sort of success rate to you expect? I haven't done a lot of it but I do follow the "rules" including sterilizing the cutting tool. I use a regular powdered rooting hormone and keep the medium moist and protected from direct sunlight. Still my success rate with Pierus japonica and Aucuba japonica (goldspot) is only about 50%. I guess I shouldn't complain since the process takes little time and the cuttings came for free from plantings around an old house that is being remodeled and which will probably not make it through the landscaping to follow.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Some things like forsythia you can eventually get up to a 99% success rate as you gain technique, for many other things a 50% success rate would indicate you've already developed a pretty good technique. Cool greenhouses, big coldframes, or at least bagging can increase success rates.
-paghat the ratgirl
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html
John McGaw wrote:

For some woody plants, a 50% success rate in rooting cuttings is outstanding. For some herbacious perennials, a 75% success rate is poor.
--

David E. Ross
<URL:http://www.rossde.com/