Propagate Banana

What's the proper way of propagating banana plants? It's my understanding that you simply have to cut off one of the shoots that comes out next to the plant. But I have no green thumb so I would be obliged if someone can shed a bit more light on this subject.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich

That's right. Just dig it up and plant it where you want it. In my S. Texas backyard banana plants grow like weeds and have to be chopped back. I don't think there is any killing them once established.

"Rich"

Reply to
Scott Studier

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 20:53:15 GMT, Rich

Reply to
Kay Lancaster

Reply to
Charles

Thank you gentlemen, for your responses.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

It's an Australian site, and I have no experience with Australian laws. However, Queensland is one of the commercial banana growing areas of the world, and it appears they're trying to protect their crops from several diseases.

"There are currently six (6) Banana Quarantine Areas in Queensland. These are based on the need to contain the spread of Banana Bunchy Top Virus, Fusarium wilt (Panama disease) and Black Sigatoka leaf spot. Buffer quarantine areas are also declared to assist in restricting the spread of these diseases. Restrictions prevent the movement of banana plants from diseased areas into disease-free areas. If you wish to move banana plants for any reason, contact your nearest DPI&F office."

In the US, if it's at all possible, USDA tries to keep imported germplasm for their programs (with possible imported pests/diseases) away from the major area of commercial production. For instance, carrots, mustards and flax are at NC7 in Ames, Iowa, an area noted for corn and soybean production.

Reply to
Kay Lancaster

Not surprising at all. That website is is from Queensland, Australia, which is commercial banana production area. Queensland is trying to protect its industry from diseases that affect the commercial banana plantations.

South Florida has severe restrictions on citrus trees for a similar reason - citrus canker. In some counties, there are quarantine areas in which it is illegal to grow any citrus at all - authorities actually go into people's yards and cut down their trees, with or without their permission. You can't even have a dwarf lemon in a pot indoors!

See:

in the U.S., if you live in a citrus-producing state (FL, CA, TX, and LA), it is illegal to import citrus plant material from anywhere else. For example, every citrus tree sold in Florida must have been grown/propogated in Florida. If you live in a state that does not have commercial citrus production, you can buy citrus trees from anywhere. So, since I live in NW FL, I can only buy Florida-grown cirtus plants. But people who live 50 miles north of me in Alabama can buy citrus plants from anywhere.

I wouldn't be surprised to find that other agricultural areas have restrictions that affect private individuals in those areas, as well.

Laura

Reply to
Laura