Propagating Tall Phlox

Greetings, I've got a single stem garden phlox, sapinaria officionalis. It's come back each spring for 3 years but has not multiplied. There was still only a single stem last summer.

Any ideas how to propagate this plant? Thanks!

Peace! Dan D. Louisville Ky good ole USA

E-mail kydan at myrealbox dot com

Reply to
Dan D.

Dan, Why would you want to propagate a poisonous weed? Ah, building a playground, are we? Any how Saponaria officionalis has a hollow stem so cuttings won't work. You could pinch off the new growth and force branching or you could dig the plant up and try to divide the rhizomes. I would wear gloves. Pretty flower, by the way, looks like Pinwheel Jasmine (T. divaricata) that we have in zone 10.

Reply to
Ricky

Searching on "saponaria propagation" (note spelling) on Google produced

1,400 links. You might try the same.

--beeky

Dan D. wrote:

Reply to
beeky

Thanks for the spelling correction! I did some searching and found many sites that listed sapinaria officionalis as soapwort and a few other common names but none called it phlox so...... I searched for gargen phlox nicky and found many hits with pictures.

(We also have soapwort and it propagates itself just fine!! In fact it's invasive so we've put a root barrier around it to keep it in check.)

Obviously the label that came with the plant was wrong. What I have apparently is Phlox paniculata 'Nicky' Summer Garden Phlox and I'm still searching for ways to multiply this fragrant flower!

Thanks again! Peace!! Dan D. Louisville KY good ole USA

Note- email in headers is dead due to spammers kydan at myrealbox dot com will work.

Reply to
Dan D.

What did you use as a root barrier?

Reply to
Sam

What did you use as a root barrier?

Reply to
Sam

Cuttings should work.

Reply to
WiGard

'Nicky'.htm

root cuttings and division in spring seem to be the recommended method.

Reply to
WiGard