Problem with last years seed harvest not germinating.

Hi all,
Last year I harvested the seeds from the following plants; bell pepper, hot chili pepper, jalapeno, & sweet banana pepper. I tested 10 seeds of each for germination about a month ago. The results were 0/10, 10/10, 7/10, and 0/10.
I processed the seeds all in the same manner as far as cleaning, drying, and storing with one small exception. In each plastic bag I placed a "moisture absorbing packets" that originally came in a bottle of herbs. All the packet's were different, one said silica(sp?), another said hydro something, they all came in different herbs bottles. I thought this might help keep the seeds dry. I stored all the seeds in the frig most of the winter, except the last month I placed them in the freezer, then took them out and tested them.
I vaguely remember that some of the fruit I used to harvest the seeds were year-end (smaller fruit), this may have been the bell peppers and banana peppers, but I am not sure. Do you think that maybe the seeds were too young or that the "moisture absorbing packets" damaged the seeds?
Cheers, Jim
Add pictures here
โœ–
Play4abuck said:

Were all of the fruits you harvested for seeds fully red ripe (or maybe orange for the banana pepper)? If the bell and banana peppers were too green, it could be the reason for the poor germination.
I don't ever store my seeds in the freezer (except for the occasional plant species that needs such cold treatment to improve germination).

โœ–

The bell pepper and the banana pepper were certainly green I always pick'em that way, although I tried to keep some fruit on longer for this reason but someone else had their hands in my garden and did not know better. The hot chili pepper was dead red, and the jalape๑o was green, but not black or woody.
Thanks, Jim
Add pictures here
โœ–
You got one excellent result, one good result, and two misses. Sounds like you did pretty well, really.
Add pictures here
โœ–

Yes, I am happy with the outcome since it was my first attempt at harvesting vegetable seeds. Next year will be better, I think Pat pointed out my mistake.
Getting vegetable seeds to germinate is very easy for me, so I knew I must have done something else wrong.
Cheers, Jim
Add pictures here
โœ–
My initial thought is that the seeds that did nothing were not "ripe." That is, from fruit that wasn't fully mature. As for putting the seeds in the freezer, since peppers are tropical, they shouldn't need that period of cold stratification, which actually may have injured some of the seeds. Why not all? Your guess is as good as mine!
Hope this helps at least a bit! Suzy O Milwaukee, WI

Add pictures here
โœ–
Does anyone have a thought about whether or not the "moisture absorbing packets" are a good idea? Over kill? Not needed?
Cheers, Jim
Add pictures here
โœ–
Play4abuck said: