Privet - Dead Or Alive?

Hello,

I have a seven year old privet hedge, which has previously grown well, and in every winter save for this last one has held on to most of its leaves. This year it lost every leaf, and although about half of the plants are sprouting replacements quite nicely, the remainder is still without any foliage or green buds at all. I've cut into a number of branches, but instead of being nice and green immediately under the bark like the healthy ones are, they're brown instead. The same branches are, though, light green in colour at their very centres.

I've kept the hedge well watered over the past month or so, and given it a feed, but I would have expected all the plants to be springing back into leaf by now, especially with all of the warm weather. Does it sound as though many of them are dead (or possibly well on their way there)? If not, how long before they should start showing some sign of new growth? Also, would it be a good idea to cut them back hard now?

Many thanks for any advice.

Reply to
pelham1975

How do you get along with the neighbor on the other side of the hedge?

Reply to
Brooklyn1

"pelham1975" wrote

Hi Pelham, did you have a particularily hard winter where you are as so many in the USA did along the east coast? If so, you may have lost a few of them but the pale green at the center leads to hope. You are going the right things. I'd wait a bit longer before replacing them and do some good trimming of any wood that seems still 'brittle'. In 2-3 weeks if you dont see growth, take out the dead ones and plant new.

Reply to
cshenk