"Potassium Soaps Of Fatty Acids": Safe ?

Hello,
Lawn is in reasonable shape, but areas of Moss. Live in New England.
Bought a container of a liquid Moss killer (goes on hose end)that has as it's (only) active ingredient something called: Potassium Soaps Of Fatty Acid".
Question: Is it safe if some of the spray gets on healthy grass ?
And would also like to ask:
Soil, via a ph test, showed that it is quite acidic. If I put down the limestone granules, is this also safe on healthy grass ?
Any caveats to it's use, etc. ?
Thanks, B.
Bob wrote:

I would think so but see qualifications further on. It is a kind of soap. The potassium (in moderation) is a nutrient and the fatty acid part will biodegrade. Not knowing much about moss I am unsure how it works. This is only a guess: that it is a way to quickly raise the pH by applying a soluble substance that is alkaline. In which case don't overdo it and be careful applying it with limestone as well.

Yes provided that you do not raise the pH above the level that the grass will grow well in. The assumption with this treatment is that a pH region exists that is unfavourable to the moss and still favourable to the grass. What do you mean by quite acid?

Limestone granules will take some time to work, some months depending on the size of the granules which influences how fast they dissolve. Don't be impatient and repeat the dose too soon.
David

When I was looking at correcting lawn pH (6.5- 7.2), the talk was all about lime. Not once did I see "Potassium Soaps".
--
- Billy
On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 08:34:38 +1000, "David Hare-Scott"

Blah, blah, blah...
Anytime a lawn goes to moss it's because it's been totally neglected for a very long time; hasn't been dethatched, hasn't been aerated, hasn't been top dressed, hasn't been properly watered, hasn't been fertilized, hasn't been over seeded, hasn't even been looked at... a mossy lawn is one owned by a totally useless lazy bastard who will never, NEVER take any well meaning advice, because number one it costs money... they are a LAZY USELESS BASTARDS... and CHEAP... oh yes, a CHEAPO BASTARD who won't even spend the few bucks to mow more than twice a season. Anytime anyone asks about how to repair a screwed up lawn I know it's only about the money, THE MONEY... because anyone willing to spend the dollars doesn't need to know anything about lawns, NOTHING... all they gotta do is go to a store that sells lawn care products and ASK and open their miser wallets, even if they know all about lawns they still gotta spend the bucks... a well manicured lawn is ONLY about the lucre... the bigger and better the lawn the more lucre<period>
brooklyn1 wrote:

Feel better now?

I think your off topic, David ;O)
--
- Billy

Just about all plants, including grass, do not like soap on their roots. Do the instructions say anything about getting their product on grass?
Using lime granules on the grass is helpful if the soil is acidic. It can be harmful if the soil is already alkaline, as most grass grows best in slightly acidic soils. Test pH again in 6 months, reapply if needed. You may have to apply lime every 6 months for a few years (I did). I still have some moss, but most is under control.