Poppies from Seed

All,
Has anyone tried to sprout poppies using the poppy seeds from the grocery store?
--
Rich McKinney
Reply to snipped-for-privacy@Carolina-Dot-RR.Com

I did, it works. Maybe not with all batches, but it worked for me. I tried it last week and planted a whole lot of poppies in the backyard.
Thanks, That was quick....
i think that they are called breadseed poppies http://plantsdatabase.com/go/238 / all kinds of poppyseeds will germinate easily, but as i recently foun out, will not grow very big or very fast in zones 7 and above. i don know if this helps - agnatha314 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- posted via www.GardenBanter.co.uk

Well, this is simply an experiment, I am in zone 5.
I am in Zone 7b (Southern NC). My wife wants to try it anyway.
I have grown poppies using store seeds. They are the usual opium poppy foliage - the flowers were single, sort of a pinkish lavendar - pretty, although not my favorite color in a poppy. In my opinion, the peony flowered doubles - either in pink or red - are the best looking opium poppy varieties. I think the shirley poppies, especially the ones with painted rims, are generally more attractive, although the gray-green opium poppy foliage is beautiful until after the flowers bloom - when it goes tan and gets ugly pretty quickly.

Um, are these opium poppies legal to plant?
I planted them in an area where we removed a few trees and planted four new fruit trees as a new orchard. Because the new trees are very small, that area has a lot of unnused land. Icould not think of anything easier than just spreading store poppy seeds on the ground and raking it a bit. Hopefully, we could harvest some poppy seeds later, if not, I would simply have wasted 50 grams of store bought seeds.

They are legal to plant as long as you're not planning to harvest the pods for opium. However, it's too late in the year to plant them now. They, like all other annual poppies, need to be started while the weather is still cold - earliest spring in the north (like late February to late March) , and fall in warmer zones. Some believe that frost helps to break the seed coat - and in any case, the roots need to develop long before hot weather strikes.

grocery
On Sat, 22 May 2004 01:13:12 -0700, "gregpresley"

I direct seeded at the end of April here (zone 7b) in a plot in full sun, and had blooms well before season's end. I don't know how many successful plant for the number of seeds sown, but quite a few. It may be ideal to start them earlier in spring, or way earlier, in the previous fall, but they seemed to do OK.