pools - slightly off topic

Page 1 of 2
hey y'all,
dummy needs help again...........lol
my 2 yr old son has a small swimming pool that i let him play in while i work in the garden. it is 8x5 and only about 4 inches deep. was wondering this:
is there anything i can add to the water (besides chlorox) to keep the mildew and algae from building up in it? i need something that will be gentle to his skin. currently, i am draining the pool and cleaning it, then filling it back up again the next time i need to work in the garden. with the drought, i need to cut it back on water use. does anyone have any suggestions on what i can use to let the water last a few days before i need to drain and clean again?
thanks, rae
On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 19:45:36 -0400, rachael simpson

You have a problem. Algae grows as a result of heat, sunlight and nutrients. Good luck keeping it out. It is tough and persistent.
You can use algaecides, but I know you wouldn't and I wouldn't either. Shocking the pool with high levels of chlorine, eg Shock&Swim is effective, but you need to remove the dead algae thru filtration. And filtration is not available on your wading pool. Shock and Swim is not what you want on his skin, if you don't want to use chlorox either.
Covering your pool when not in use to prevent sunlight can help.
Can you run the water to the horse tank after he swims, recycle it that way? Horses shouldnn't mind a little boy pee!;-)
Are you watering your garden? Use the pool water to water your plants and refill for him each time, then after use, water the garden. You're not talking about major amounts of water in this size pool and depth.
If you are using well water, how high is your nitrate level? Nitrates encourage and feed algae.
Or, let him enjoy with algae. I remember swimming in farm ponds and horse tanks when a kid and a little algae was ok. Good hose off after! ;-)
http://www.wikihow.com/Eliminate-and-Prevent-Green-Algae-in-a-Swimming-Pool
Charlie

Citric Acid? Hmmmm. Cyanuric acid is what is used to maintain and slow chlorine degradation in the baggie pool things we have.
Once it is at proper levels, it remains all season. I asssume, being no chemist, that citric acid would be similiar, and safer?
Charlie
Charlie wrote:

any chemists here?? chemistry wasn't my strong point.......
Muriatic acid
On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 20:45:34 -0500, Charlie wrote:

Charlie wrote:

with it.........

hadn't thought about that. romeo (the horse here at the house) has a barrel that he drinks out of - normally i run the water hose to it, but might try something different - skip to next comment

forth with a cup and bucket! lol, might could make a new game out of that with wyatt.

know that it's ever been tested.

rae

Those are pretty harmless. Water attracts rats which are more likely disease vectors. I'd be more wary about Weils Disease/leptospirosis, which is spread to humans via rat pee in water .
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-weils-disease.htm
Our toddlers enjoyed a baby-bath of water to play in/with in the garden, that's a small enough water volume to just fill with fresh every time he's going to play, and empty after.
Incidentally after an exceptionally mild winter I'm seeing more rats than usual here, even in the garden in broad daylight. So far we've caught just one in the trap.
Janet
Janet Baraclough wrote:

no sign of rats around here, got plenty of possum though! lol what i forgot to mention in the original post is that the pool is inflatable. in order to remove every trace of the water, i have to deflate and then re-inflate after it's dry. while i know that some algae won't really hurt him, it looks really ugly in the pool like that. besides, if algae is present, i can't help but wonder what other bacteria might be present...............
while wyatt's pool doesn't hold a lot of water, it does hold more than i like to replenish every day. we used the old water from today's play to water the garden with. made a little game out of it with wyatt. (who could get the most water to the garden the quickest.) might keep doing that.
some folks around here had told me to add a bit of bleach to his pool. I'm sure you of all people, janet, can understand why i don't want to add chlorox bleach to his play water..........
rae
ps: excuse typing skills again.......holding baby

Try using a chlorine alternative called Baquacil. It's sold at most pool and spa stores. No irritation or odor. Worked great in our swimming pool and spa.
Bioguard makes a similar product called "SoftSwim," which is also a chlorine alternative. Here's a link for the Bioguard products:
http://www.poolmart.com/productlistcategory.asp?urll=SOFT_SWIM_NON_CHLORINE_ALTERNATIVE_SANITIZING_SYSTEM&categoryu
Hope this helps. CactusGirl

Some of us filter it out after it has done it's duty.
Even below sensory threshold, which is not always true in the case of drinking water, I don't drink it. There are some theories and articles floating about that claim dermal absorption of chlorine is a not good thing, even at low levels.
Thus having said this, hypochlorites are good disinfectants and degrade rapidly and are good to keep on hand, both in liquid (sodium) and granular (calcium) form in case of emergencies.
Charlie

Don't you be startin' in on me Billy Rose!
It's hot out and I just spent the better part of the day at a political thing that that was billed as and masqueraded as an airshow that the children and grandson talked me into attending, against my better judgement, which, by the way, my judgement proved to be correct. I knew we were screwed when the traffic directors and such were all dressed in Sam Graves for Congress tees. The airshow part of it was only slightly better than the tinhorn us rep, Sam Graves, droning in the background, all puffed up and wrapped up in r,w,&b. Didn't even have a beer tent. What kind of a politician worth his salt doesn't offer beer to us poor pig-ignorant backwoods hicks, eh? Fortunately "the airshow" turned out to be "free", only a "donation" requested...for what? We declined and only offered a fart in his general direction.
Grandson enjoyed the helicopters, but he quickly became hot and bored and asked to leave, which we did.....along with about half the crowd.
Musta been a gigazillion dollars worth of private planes that flew in yesterday for the serious part of the "show".....you know, the deals. Even a coupla them cessna jets that the rich folk gets chauffered around in. They all started bugging out after about an hour.
Gotta admit though, seeing a Blackhawk and a Chinook land fifty yards from your pickup tailgate, upon which we hillbillies perched, was kinda cool, until you started thinking of the death that these machines represent. Even more death in the skies followed with four A10 Farthogs in the distance and a Stealth Bomber.....serious killing machines, eh? Plus these military helicopters stank on the inside....serious stank.
Anyhows, I digress.......I'm hot. And still grumpy. And my feet hurt. And I am thirsty. Did I mention I am hot?
What is your point about charcoal?
Yes I use a Brita for daily use. However, should things get serious, I have a Katadyn Drip on the shelf right above my head. It can turn dirty dog's pee into potable water.
Maybe I'll go bite Sherwin later, after a bit of study and a few more cold ones. Did I mention I am hot and grumpy?
Charlie

"Say anything that you like about me except that I drink water."
Charlie

One o' me favorites, cable dropped the re-re of it a couple years ago .....I need the DVDs

Wahhhhhh....been there, done that. If she popped, you gotta clean it up before Lovey-poo finds you out!! The frozen suds taste pretty good you know. Nothing like a Stout Icey!
DO NOT....repeat....DO NOT *ever* chill one in the icemaker! That corkscrew thingamajig that augers the ice towards the crusher hole *will* break the bottle. Likely it will be Lovey that discovers your mistake. Comprende?
Charlie....dancing to Baka Beyond......and don't start with me about it. Even The Walrus can do the Two-Step. goo goo g'joob
On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 00:37:29 -0500, Charlie wrote:

I love Baka Beyond. I bought a few CDs oh, 8 years ago or so. I particularly like the one with the water drums. My favorite is "Spirit of the Forest."

I'm guessing you like the Afro Celts as well?
Moussa Sissokho, on the talking drum, is fantastic. ALl of them are fantastic musicians and the blend of styles and sounds is.......simply phenomenal.
Great music in the garden, both for the plants and me.
In Peace and Music Charlie
cactusgirl wrote:

http://www.poolmart.com/productlistcategory.asp?urll=SOFT_SWIM_NON_CHLORINE_ALTERNATIVE_SANITIZING_SYSTEM&categoryu
rae

My pool has 3ppm and my tap water has 5ppm of chloramine...which is harder to detect because it doesn't have a harsh smell.
On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 21:53:42 -0400, rachael simpson

I can pretty much guarantee you have rats and mice in your yard. There isn't a part of land which has no rats or mice on it. I can't believe there is this much uproar about an inflatable pool! Drain it, wash it out with soapy water and fill it again. I wouldn't suggest you put any chemicals in the inflatable pool or the pool may disintegrate. I wouldn't let my pets go into an algae pool, so a child? I don't think so. I assure you stagnant water is loaded with anerobic bacteria and it 's a matter of time before they can be ingested. Please, an inflatable pool...drain it and refill it.

jangchub wrote:

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 10:58:35 -0400, rachael simpson

Sorry, there is no excuse for this. I don't tip toe around and I also don't apologize for it. It is a BLOW UP POOL. I have a fifty foot long pool and don't have this much trouble.