Planting burr Oak acorn

Should this acorn be soaked? Scored? anything? Thanks, Jackie

Don't know. I tried some live oak acorns in local soil, no luck. Make me wonder what the chances of any acorn naturally making a sapling, and making it far enough away from the tree that made the acorn.
--
Dave

Memorial day:
Acorns planted by squirrels regularly come up in my vegetable garden. (As do corn plants...)
Kevin Cherkauer Utopia in Decay http://home.comcast.net/~kevin.cherkauer/site/?/blog /
"Dioclese" <NONE> wrote in message

making
The only squirrels I've seen within a few miles are in low-lying areas near seasonal creeks with pecan trees. Not here though.
--
Dave
"Kevin Cherkauer" < snipped-for-privacy@bbb.ccc> wrote in message
"Dioclese" <NONE> wrote:

Lord, my kard is littered with live oak seedlings. They are everywhere.
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars

Have they over wintered out side? I would recommend you float them in water, those that sink are good, the floaters are empty hulls. Your location could determine how to handle them, but, if they over wintered outside, and they sink, plant them a couple of inches deep (like the squirrels) and see what comes up. Water them when it rains, if they in a protected area.
On Sun, 25 May 2008 18:01:06 -0400, "Jacqueline Davidson"

Burr Oaks sprout the season they fall to the ground. That usually means in the fall. No special handling. Just poke them in the ground. Red Oaks must over winter before sprouting, I put them in a plastic bag with a damp paper towel in the refridgerator and some time around March they sprout, at which time I move them to a tall pot and also put that in the refridgerator.
However, I think that if you've allowed the Burr Oak acorns to dry out, they wont germinate. You've got nothing to loss by trying though.
-dickm

Thanks for the good help! Jackie